The Secret History, by Donna Tartt

kaybutc's review

dark mysterious slow-paced

xxmxds's review

i liked the self critique of the characters tartt displayed. but my god this book, i hate it so much that i love it. honestly this book is the bane of my existence and the love of my life. i still do not know how to feel about this book this far on from reading it. but i do know that i have a love hate relationship with it and it won’t leave.

bellamuerte_'s review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

louilou156's review against another edition

challenging emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

sydwhiz's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny tense slow-paced

This book became a 5 star for me only at its very end, around the last 50-70 pages but was still very good. I liked a lot of the tropes used and overall vibes. I worried it wouldn’t be suspenseful with the murder and perpetrators being revealed in the prologue, but there were many scenes after the murder took place that had my heart racing. Very fun and emotionally challenging read. I think Francis was the only character I didn’t have a love/hate relationship with.

SpoilerThe scene in Julians office had my blood pumping, I was saying “oh god, oh god” out loud. That scene alone alongisde the drastic exposition of what kinds of people the characters truly are elevated the book from a 4.75 to a 5 for me. Donna does such a good job of creating tension and introducing information in such a way that it jars you.

megandougherty's review against another edition

slow-paced

so overhyped and long for no reason

serena_sea's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

damien_reads_books's review against another edition

This book imprinted itself on me, I'm not the fastest reader, so a 560 page book in ten days is pretty stellar for me. Tartt weaves an impressive web about a group of undergrads at a (fairly) prestigious college in Vermont whose desire for knowledge and admiration for all things Greek goes terribly awry.

This book was published in the early 90s, but its cult status is more than deserved.

sofsimoes's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

sisimbra's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

It wasn‘t bad but also not that good. Pretty vague, I know. As boring as it was it was very hard to put it down because I always wanted to know what‘s going to happen next. It‘s been a while since I‘ve read a 700+ pages book in just a few days.

I didn‘t like a single one of the characters, not even the protagonist but I think that perhaps was the purpose?

For my taste there was a little bit too much unnecessary description. The book could have been a lot shorter without it. But it captured the darkness of the story and the atmosphere pretty well.

I enjoyed the core of the story or the theme. But the execution was only okay for me. Not special but also not terrible.