Marvel Fearless and Fantastic!: Female Super Heroes Save the World, by Sam Maggs

lindick's review against another edition

I loved this so much. How did they make it so readable and fun and also helpful? I think it would be good for someone just starting out (although maybe a little overwhelming), for a huge comics nerd, or anybody in between. I knew the characters & backstories mostly, but it was still so fun to read/review/learn more. There were maybe 2-3 women I’d never even heard of (Toni Ho! How did I not know you!) and another 2-3 who is heard of but had no idea what their (current) origin story was. I love how it says who their friends & allies are! I love how positive it is! Also you can totally tell that at least 1 of the writers is queer bc it just coolly and casually mentions it the character has a gf or identifies as gay or whatever, just slips that right in there. I love it. And the art is gorgeous. They did a great job choosing definitive, great, representative and also diverse art for all the characters.

My only complaints are that there aren’t captions giving info on/credits for the artists, and there aren’t suggested reading lists/where to start lists or even the name of the title(s) they’re currently appearing in, not even in the back/appendix. I assume that these are Marvel’s decisions and maybe they thought it would make it more accessible for younger readers, but it feels weird to see all this cool art and not be able to look up the artists. Like what are you supposed to do, google “gorgeous comic art of scarlet witch” and hope it comes up??

libraryfox's review against another edition

4.5 stars.
Review to come.

claresbookshelf's review

A fun little guide about the female superheroes Marvel rarely puts into their movies.

In all seriousness, this guide is really good. The artwork is amazing and the little bios for each character are pretty interesting. For once it wasn't totally filled with characters I already knew about and actually led me to discover some I had never heard of before. Particularly the women of colour. There are so many ladies who aren't getting the love the deserve and it made me a little angry, and quite honestly determined to find all their comics and read them myself. When people don't talk about them, these characters fall to the wayside and that is beyond sad.

enriquedcf's review against another edition

This book is a great way to introduce younger readers to the many great female characters of Marvel Comics. The character selection is diverse and covers characters from many varied corners of the Marvel Universe (though it does have some big omissions; I hope we get a second volume later).

Highly recommended for someone looking for a quick, entertaining and easy to read introduction to Marvel Comics.

jspotter's review

A good way to find new books to read. Lacking information about the artist/creators of each character.

iceprincess5's review

This is a great overview of women super heroes in the Marvel universe! I'm tempted to get a Marvel Unlimited subscription because I want to read all the comics now, but they don't state which comics the characters appear in. I know the list would be long for some but even having the debut comic would be helpful in finding where one can read more about these heroes.

jenhugsbooks's review

So good! Now be prepared, because I have a lot of comics to catch up on.