Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!, by Rodney Barnes

jackelz's review

Quin is a very relatable character, and I liked the premise of how they got their powers. The conflict was very relevant to problems in today's world, so I think a lot of people will be able to relate to the story, if not Quin directly. I'm looking forward to reading more of his story!

sirah's review

Quin is invincible. This is pretty handy as he faces up against the systemic injustice that runs rampant in this community and threatens the lives and futures of everyone he cares about. Who is targeting lower-class New Orleans? The first in what I hope are many thought-provoking comics, Quincredible touches on themes of unrequited love, family bonds, injustice, protests, revolutions, crime, oh, and superheroes. Quin is a lovable, dorky character who really wants to do what's right in a world that can't always decide what "right" even is. I found this to be a thoughtful take on how injustice is perpetuated. I'm planning on keeping a volume in my classroom, and I hope it will inspire young people to think critically about how the world works, why it continues, and what could and should be done to change it.

seventhchariot's review

Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Quincredible Vol. 1 has a good premise, but the plot kinda flopped for me. I enjoyed that this graphic novel follows a BIPOC superhero from the projects, and that police brutality was a big theme throughout the story, but other than that, I was kind of bored.

I do think many people will enjoy this, but it wasn't for me.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGallery for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review!

justkeyreads's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful inspiring fast-paced

The panels are colorful and the story hits on powerful real-life issues and social commentary that didn't feel like I was being pushed down the throat.

listener's review

Hard to stay focused on this.

meetyouineveryplace's review

fast-paced

daniiiel's review

Quincredible is a graphic novel that follows Quin, a boy who has the power of invulnerability. He decides to use his power for good and to help his community. The art style is amazing and I really enjoyed the story and the social comments. I just thought that should have gone into some more issues that stayed very superficial.
I recommend!

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me an arc in exchange of a honest review.

zepysgirl's review

I wanted to like this so much. Unfortunately the writing is bad and then rushes into a janky conclusion in the eleventh hour. I won’t be continuing on (if they even do make more).

fireth's review

Finished this in one sitting. Even though it’s an easy read and able to lay down the backstory, I was kinda dissatisfied with the abrupt ending.

manglitter's review

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This comic wasn't just about how to be or become a superhero but about what pushes and intrigues you in order to use your power. Quin is a young boy who was witnessing what was happening in his community and the people's struggle after a catastrophe and that's what made him want to make a change .
It's not just about being called a hero because that's not the most important thing of the job, it's being selfless and fighting for what is right, working hard to change the wrongs even when it looks impossible. The villains have also powers but they decide to take the wrong side because they are selfish and greedy.

I loved Quin's personality, he is a good son and could be the coolest friend you could have. He is his own self and even when he is bullied by the others, he remains true to himself and his principles. Quin could be an inspiration to many young adults.
Doing and being like the others would never make you exceptional but following your own path and beliefs that's what could make people looking at you as a person of exception.

I enjoyed reading this comic and it seemed too short for me. We meet Quin in this volume, a young adult who discovers that he has powers, so from there starts his first adventures with the group of the enhanced heroes.
I hope that he will find another girl to crush on because I didn't like Britt.