The Lucky Escape by Laura Jane Williams

michellehenriereads's review against another edition

I received an ARC from NetGalley for my honest review.

There are so many things I love about this book. I feel like it's a combination of women's fiction because we're on a journey with Annie and a rom-com because of her growing friendship with Patrick. It's a delightful and refreshing combination with thoughts on living life.

The protagonist is great! Annie is confused, uncertain, but trying to find her way through life and the hand it's dealt her. I thought her sadness was so realistic and pulling herself out of it was palpable. Life is full of conflicting emotions and this was handled so well.

I also felt for the love interest, Patrick. His situation with love in the past was just as heartbreaking. Even though I couldn't live "in the moment" as much as he did, I can see why he adopted that as his life's philosophy and mode of operation. He offered something to Annie that she didn't know she needed or had lost - her sense of spontaneity. I also loved how he was justly hurt and confused about what was going on.

There is some sex on the page - though not overly, overly detailed. And it's not like characters just jumped in the sack randomly with people. There's a little bit of cursing. No violence or domestic abuse.

I recommend this book for readers who are ready to delve into life's questions with Annie as she rediscovers who she really is.

nicolajane's review against another edition

The cover of this book is so warm and inviting that you think you're in for a good read.
The inside is not disappointing. The story was warm and cute.
Very much the kind of book you can pick up by the pool.

constantreader_mh's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

jennifergallo's review against another edition

When Annie is left standing at the alter, she vows to say 'yes' to every opportunity that comes her way. One spare ticket to her honeymoon and a chance encounter with an old friend leads to a spontaneous trip and whirlwind love affair. This is a standalone rom-com and my first by this author.

Check out The Lucky Escape by Laura Jane Williams wherever you buy books!

✦ Goodreads ➜ https://bit.ly/31kMOPx
✦ Amazon ➜ https://amzn.to/3mMThLG
✦ Apple ➜ https://apple.co/3COIkOW
✦ Google ➜ https://bit.ly/3o1IFHW
✦ Kobo ➜ https://bit.ly/2YeZnuy
✦ Nook ➜ https://bit.ly/3nVE75T

TAGS: fiction, romance, contemporary romance, rom-com, romantic comedy, women's fiction, chick-lit, marriage, divorce, holiday

*Thanks to Edelweiss, Harper Collins Australia & Laura Jane Williams for providing a free eARC in exchange for my honest review #TheLuckyEscape #Edelweiss @edelweiss_squad #HarperCollinsAustralia @harpercollinsaustralia #LauraJaneWilliams #LauraJaneAuthor @laurajaneauthor

amyreadsandsails's review against another edition

This was a nice, lovely read. Very much about escapism and self-discovery in the wake of an emotional disaster. I would have preferred for the first part to go by faster (come on, get to the good stuff!) and it is fade to black in the bedroom (boo). I thought Patrick was a lot of fun and a good pairing with Annie, who had some good growth.

smalltownbookmom's review against another edition

3.5 - This was a sweet closed door romance about finding and being true to yourself and falling in love along the way. When Annie gets stood up at the alter she starts to rethink her whole life. A chance meeting with Patrick, an old acquaintance from theatre camp who is a recent widower, sparks a new friendship and the two end up going on Annie's intended honeymoon together. Eventually the chemistry between Annie and Patrick is too much for them to resist and they have to figure out if their vacation romance will survive when they get back to their regular lives. I enjoyed this light-hearted British love story and recommend it for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Beth O'Leary or The unhoneymooners. My one critique was that the story was only told from Annie's perspective and I would have liked to get inside Patrick's head more.

turningpageswithjules's review

slow-paced

theresa_hanna's review against another edition

3,5⭐️

alittlewrightreading's review

The Lucky Escape started out a bit slow but once it got started I really enjoyed it!

Annie and Alexander are supposed to get married but when Annie shows up to the church her wedding planner tells her that Alexander texted her saying he wasn’t going to be there. Her ex in-laws insist she still on on their honeymoon. And when a friend from the past joins her on the trip of the lifetime everything changes.

I loved watching Annie grow from the heartbreak to being a strong person who lives life to the fullest in and in the moment. And doing the things that make her happy.

Thanks to Netgalley and Avon for a copy of The Lucky Escape for an honest review

kindleandkettle's review

The Lucky Escape was a lovely change of pace for me. It is part romantic comedy and part journey of self-discovery.

Annie finds herself left at the alter by her university sweetheart. Of course, as you would except Annie starts to question who is she is/has become. Shortly after the failed wedding, Annie finds herself at a bootcamp where she meets Patrick. Patrick and Annie knew each other twenty years ago and since then Annie has completely lost herself and become what others expect of her. It is around the same time that Annie's ex-future in-laws encourage her to take the honeymoon. Annie and Patrick agree to go together and that is where the fun begins...

I loved the journey that Annie and Patrick went on for their non-honeymoon to Australia. There were some wonderful laughs (I couldn't stop laughing at the part with the day-spa...no spoilers here, you will have to read to find out what happens). It is evident that Patrick really likes Annie, but something is holding him back. As their trip progresses they start to get to know each other more and build trust.

At times, I found myself getting a little lost and re-reading passages to process them but it didn't take away from the story. I love how Annie starts to focus on where she changed and how to make her life better. She learns to say no and ask for what she wants, instead of trying to please everyone else constantly.

Overall, this was a fun read for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're looking for a nice change of pace in a book, I definitely recommend The Lucky Escape. Thank you to HarperCollins for gifting me a copy of this book.