Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell

journeyj22's review

funny hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

booksanddachshunds's review against another edition

Full review on the blog

as their relationship between Eleanor and Parks grew.. so did my love for them! They reminded me exactly of Finch & Violet from «All our Bright Places».. The relationship between the teens felt so real, an although he was way more “luckier” than her, he would have gave her everything if he had could.

Though having a rather “dark” core in the story; as we are talking spouse abuse & bullying of her kids, the love story itself was everything – I would’ve wanted them to have all the good in the world, hoping so much it wouldn’t go to the separation we feared.

Though I cannot judge if said representation is good or not, this novel has quite some diversity; Park’s family is asian, his mom being Korean; being described as sun-kissed skin or “yellow” by parks himself. We also get to see his struggles into being the only asian at school/his neighborhood. Though it means tonight to her specifically, Eleanor has irish & danish roots; white skinned with really strong ginger hair.

katherineamerica's review

I've just put this book down and I'm still angry, so excuse the short review.

Eleanor was absolutely unbearable. There is insecure, and then there is dramatic for the sake of being dramatic. I tried to feel for her, I really did, but even up to the very end I couldn't stand her. Park was decent for most of the book, I guess. But I struggled to get through every Eleanor part.

Also, the last third of the book felt like it was written by a completely different, but just as boring, author. All of a sudden, Eleanor is a third wave feminist and Park is insecure about his Asian heritage? Oh. Okay.

All in all, I'm so surprised this book has the rating it has. Park is the only thing that saved this book.

andreacitlalich's review

emotional slow-paced

agnesa_ast's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced

lol so racist sorry i hated this book 2 stars is generous

wiltingroses's review

madisonrowe6219's review

I typically don't read romantic books but this one was so greatly written. It was so authentic and so real that I could experience every single emotion the characters themselves were undergoing.

bra1nw4sh3d's review against another edition

it was just so painfully bad. not to mention racist.

mossboy50's review

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

racham1123's review

I loved this book. I waited for it and waited for it to go on sale. As soon as it was I ordered it and finished reading it in two days.

Part of me gets to the end of the book and my mouths still hanging open thinking "that's it?!" I turned the page to to acknowledgements and actually went back to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I want to know what happened to Eleanor's siblings and her mom. I want to know what Eleanor thought of everything Park sent her. Everything we don't know.

But another part of me thinks the way it ended was perfect, because the story was always about them. Eleanor and Park. Knowing Eleanor finally told park she loved him keeps your swept up in their whirl wind romance and makes you love them even more.