Last Girls, by Demetra Brodsky

marisahh's review against another edition

This wasn't the story I was expecting it to be and I liked it a lot more than I thought. The setting and sister relationship was so so good, I liked the multiple perspectives as well. The characters were great and the story was so interesting! It was almost perfect, I still have a couple unanswered questions, so for that I would give it a 4.75* Overall a really great read!

jaellay's review

challenging dark tense fast-paced

booknerdkc's review

adventurous challenging dark informative mysterious tense fast-paced

airykah13's review

popthebutterfly's review against another edition

Disclaimer: I received this arc from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Last Girls

Author: Demetra Brodsky

Book Series: Standalone

Diversity: 1 African American side character

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: May 5, 2020

Publisher: TorTeen

Pages: 357

Recommended Age: 16+ (language, violence, bombs, school lockdown TW, death, poison, drugging people, kidnapping TW, prepping)

Synopsis: No one knows how the world will end.

On a secret compound in the Washington wilderness, Honey Juniper and her sisters are training to hunt, homestead, and protect their own.

Prepare for every situation.

But when danger strikes from within, putting her sisters at risk, training becomes real life, and only one thing is certain:

Nowhere is safe.

Review: I really liked the book overall. The characters were well developed and intriguing. The writing was really well done and the plot was intriguing.

However, I had a lot of confusion with this book. There are two storylines in this book and I think the author could have gotten away with just doing one or the other. It just seemed too big and there were a lot of variables involved that didn’t and shouldn’t have made sense in the book. It’s hard to explain without spoiling the book, but I think a simple plot goes a lot way.

Verdict: it was a good book overall just a bit confusing.

mousethatreads's review against another edition

From the very first chapter I knew I would love Honey. I adored reading from her perspective. She is as layered and complex as her artwork. I formed an attachment with this trio right from the start and it felt like I was right there with them, prepping for the end of the world as we know it. Each sister is so distinct from the others. Their personalities stand out so clearly and it makes this book such a treat to read!

Demetra Brodsky's writing is striking and it didn't take any effort at all to work my way through the book since I was so invested. The book had the perfect pace and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, wondering what would happen next.

I must confess, I didn't know all that much about doomsday preppers and their lifestyle before reading this book but their practices hit close to home during this pandemic.

All in all, I would definitely recommend reading this book, whether you enjoy thrillers or not. Each person will find a piece of themselves in this narrative and in these characters.

Read my full review at mousethatreads.com

izzyg's review against another edition

panichistory's review against another edition

This was ok. There were some parts I really enjoyed and others I could've done without. Honey wasn't the most likeable protagonist either, but it worked ok.

astoldbybex's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

sleepydoe's review against another edition

4.5/5

A huge thanks to The Fantastic Flying Book Club for having me on the blog tour for this novel and providing me with an eARC! All the following opinions are my own!

Last Girls is a young adult mystery/thriller novel that was ONE HELL OF A SURPRISE, if I've ever had one! The story is told from the perspective of Honey Juniper, eldest of three, survivalist and kind of a badass. She makes beautiful paintings and writes letters to her childhood imaginary friend, Bucky. The other main cast of characters in this book are Birdie Juniper, annoyance and fiesty angst personified ; Blue Juniper, who is weirder than the rest which is saying something, and the closest thing to a real life Luna Lovegood I've ever seen. We also have Remy Lamar who just doesn't give up trying to get Honey to go out with him. And Toby Ellis…who's connected to all of this but he doesn't even know that he is.

When the story takes off, it reads like a book about a bunch of doomsday preppers with their bunkers and farms and shooting ranges (shudder), but the plot takes off almost immediately when a secret mission issued by the leader of the compound goes awry and people get in trouble etc. I don't want to give much away because this book is a WILD RIDE, and going into it knowing as little as possible was honestly one of the best things I've ever done!

Everything about this book was super fun and engaging. I absolutely adored the main characters - Blue, especially, who seems to have some kind of psychic ability obtained due to government experiments etc that read very much like Eleven's story from Stranger Things and honestly, where is my spin off? I need it right now! I WANT TO SEE BLUE HURL SOME TRUCKS AT BAD GUYS, DAMMIT! The plot went at a steady and fast pace and it was unputdownable through a lot of the action. I did find the extent to which the plot exploded in, like, the last 20% a bit extreme, but I was so invested at that point that I totally bought that shit.

I loved what the author tried to say with this book, too. While there were a lot of mixed messages (or so they seemed to me atleast) about being sheeple and the end of the world as we know it etc, there was also this pure emotion and love for all things art underneath it. The Mother of the girls doesn't approve of them being artists because she doesn't believe that it's anything useful in a doomsday scenario, but the girls still keep at it and that's kind of what ultimately saves their lives in ways more than one. And that was such a sweet thing to see, imo.

There were also a lot of small, charming elements that I adored. All the abbreviations, Blue's crazy ass predictions, Bash and Stavros and that whole bit. The few descriptions of art and photography. The slight peppering of romance. The fun sister banter.  Also, there were some pretty obvious jabs at Trump peppered through the text, and honestly, I'm not even mad because nothing that was said about that orange meme was a lie so *shrug*.

All in all, this was an extremely enjoyable read and I would totally recommend you pick this up even if survival books AREN'T for you! They aren't usually for me either, but I COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN! :D