The Dragon of Ynys, by Minerva Cerridwen

aninha's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

gameoftomes's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

alwaysshure's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

skyshepreads's review against another edition

Rating: 2.5/5

delfunia's review against another edition

I love Snap :')

nadiacoleccionista's review against another edition

I'm very happy to have been given this advanced copy of this book which I was really curious to read, thanks to the publisher who gave it to me.

The story takes place in the small town of Ynys and their local knight and the towns dragon who are wound up in a adventure they are not used to. The story takes the protagonists and the reader through the new and exciting world where they meet new people.

"Why?" the spider asked. "What message do you think is so important that everyone sould hear it?"
"The message that being different from what is considered the norm does not mean you will lead an unhappy life."

It's a story about self-acceptance but especcialy about accepting others. About feeling and expressing your true self without the fear of being judged. This book is something everybody should read. It's very suitable for children because of the length and how it's written. But there are probably more adults who can also learn a lot from this book.

it is a very beautiful story, I enjoyed it at all times, it is a story that I read very quickly, the style of the author fascinated me, I loved all the representation that is in the book, no doubt this gave him many points in his favor because they are well described and have a unique personality that will make you identify with them

daphnereads_'s review against another edition

The Dragon of Yns initially interested me because it was labeled as an own voices novel, but it delivered so much more on so many different levels! I finished this book in less than 24 hours because of how engaging it was.

This novel follows our aro/ace main character, a knight to a small village who has been given the task to find the person behind a string of thefts. When all these missing items are traced back to a dragon living nearby, Sir Violet grows used to him always being the culprit. So when a human goes missing, Violet is surprised when the dragon isn’t behind it. Now Violet must go on a quest to save the missing women.

This story includes trans, lesbian, and aro/ace representation. I am not part of any of these communities, so I can not speak on the quality of representation, but I do have a lot to say on the rest of this story.

I fell in love with all of these characters very quickly. Snap, the dragon, was witty and had a similar sense of humor to mine, Violet was very lovable and I couldn’t help but care for him, and the relationship that Holly and Juniper share is something that warms me to my core. This story reads like a more sophisticated fairytale, and I adored it. The book was fast paced and kept moving, like a children’s book, but it also had scenes where the characters were talking about more adult topics like acceptance and what it’s like being transgender. The range of this book only made me love it more.

I appreciate how much the authors got done in this story. The plot was well structured, the characters were very well developed, and all of this in under 200 pages. This story made me feel for characters like Snap and Lily with only their backstories, not all authors can do that.

I wish there was a little more world building because I was confused at some points with the spiders, and what happened after our characters met with the queen. It would’ve made this book a 5 star if it just had that extra bit of magic.

Thank you to Netgalley and Atthis Arts for sending me this e-arc!

megj23's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

buknerd's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring medium-paced

astraeal's review against another edition

This was such a nice and fun story to read! A dragon, a knight, and the baker's wife embark on a quest to find the missing baker. Sounds quite simple said like this but this story was filled with LGBTQIA+ characters and important messages, which the real story was to bring them to all around the world.

“The message that being different from what is considered the norm does not mean you will lead an unhappy life.”