How the Light Gets in, by Louise Penny

bethwodzinski's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

fluffyturtle's review against another edition

emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

redheadreadermom's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

vgillispie's review

This Gamache has a particularly terrifying ending. Definitely signals a transition in many of the characters’ lives.

faintingviolet's review

How the Light Gets In follows the devastating events of The Beautiful Mystery and in many ways wraps up the threads that have been unspooling since Bury Your Dead. Gamache’s department is being turned upside down, Beauvoir has descended further into his drug addiction to pain killers, we discover who truly leaked the video surveillance footage of the attack at the dam. Gamache also has a limited time to solve a murder (or two) and uncover what his enemies inside the Surete are really up to.

It is hard to find the best way to write another review of a Louise Penny book singing its praises while also walking the tightrope of not giving the mystery away yet convincing you all to read this series. The language is delicious, the characters are so richly developed and exquisitely layered that you will want to return time and again to their world, no matter what new terrible thing is happening to them. So, believe me and gives these a read.

full review: faintingviolet.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/how-the-light-gets-in-cbr9-74/

suzanneloving's review

Moved to tears a number of times, this was a powerful story. Corruption, petty short-sighted and selfish 'leaders', hurt and love.

callen_charlemagne's review

Quite possibly my favorite so far. The ultimate in redemption stories, the classic story of hope almost lost and then barely regained leading to triumph. Very satisfactory for me. The murder fades into the background but is also compelling - I wish it had gotten a little more of the focus and fleshing-out.

deby's review

Well, I accidentally read this one not in its proper order. It was very good, but I wish I'd read them in the proper order. I'll nitpick a bit on the description of adversarial computer hacking, though. I'm used to seeing hacking portrayed in a ridiculous manner on TV. The depictions here were better than the usual ones on TV, but they still contained some absurdities. It seems like the author consulted someone who knew what they were talking about but that a few things got lost in translation. (N.b., I'm not an adversarial hacker myself, but I do have a lot of other computer systems experience, so I have an idea what's plausible.)

angrosereads's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

whitneyborup's review