Reviews for The Deep, by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, Jonathan Snipes, William Hutson

megasparsec's review against another edition

heyitschey's review against another edition

This is a very short read but full of wildly vivid and creative writing. I enjoyed every moment of it! I think the author did a wonderful job at navigating the ideas of self vs community, history vs present and future. I also appreciate how tragic it is to have a story's beginning be rooted in an ugly true history, yet run with the idea of life and beauty after such death and destruction.

rwelzenb's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

ellesreadingnook's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

it took me a long time to get through this surprising short book, but once i did i was in love and left in such an interesting state. definitely revisiting with a more critical eye soon!!

storiesandsidequests's review

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

Representation: all-Black cast, intersex characters, sapphic relationship, nonbinary side character
Content warnings: self-harm, suicidal thoughts, references to slavery and genocide

This novella features an underwater society comprised of mermaid-like creatures who are the descendants of pregnant African slave women who were thrown overboard by slave owners. The burden of remembering this traumatic past is placed on one individual known as the historian. When Yetu becomes overwhelmed by the memories that she alone holds, she escapes to the surface world leaving her people to struggle with the pain of remembering the trauma. For being such a short story, it’s very difficult to describe. The world building was beautiful, but the backstory and explanations felt fragmented at times, which could be an intentional choice to highlight the theme of overwhelming memories of trauma as they return to the people. The audiobook was narrated by Daveed Diggs, so I highly recommend listening if you can.

elizafiedler's review against another edition

This book had me crying in the grocery store. <3

ellyreadstoo's review

dark emotional informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

kpem's review

challenging emotional reflective fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book.  I listened to the audiobook, read by Daveed Diggs.  I highly recommend that format as he did such a great job.  It was just so beautiful and sad and fascinating and moving.  The backstory of how the novella came to be: its first iteration was a mythology created by an Afrofuturism inspired electronic music group from Detroit, which was then used to create a song for This American Life by clipping (an experimental hip hop group; one of its members Daveed Diggs), and then Rivers Solomon adapted that song into this novella.  It's just a fascinating history of adaptations and a beautiful story about adaptation and unpacking generational trauma.  I truly just can't recommend it enough.

mageestarr's review

adventurous emotional reflective sad medium-paced

karpediem's review