Flights by Olga Tokarczuk

reflective medium-paced

tessyoung's review

adventurous inspiring reflective medium-paced

clarkso6's review

I just....didn't like it. It couldn't hold my interest.  I struggled from about 20% and plowed through another 40% because it won a Nobel prize but it just wasn't for me. There was no closure and left me hanging during many of the stories.

amoskane's review against another edition

Spoilers! Questions for those who have read:
1) at the end, I thought we were supposed to assume kunicki is rushing off to kill himself. Back on the island. Did you think that? He’d been driven mad by the wife not explaining why she had wandered off. And I also thought I was supposed to let the wife off the hook, because she shared the same thing as the narrator: an urge to go. But like you can be an unethical slut, I thought she was an unethical wanderer. She drove poor Kunicki in two!
2) any other women readers who just groaned at the Dr. Blau character? Do I have to read this character AGAIN? Some nasty man wanting to collect real female genitalia? Really? Did anyone find empathy with this guy? What a toad. Why this one, Olga?

If you had trouble with the jumpy narrative nature of this book, I highly recommend Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead!! It’s a story and the characters are embraceable, a much easier read.

outtiegw's review

adventurous challenging reflective slow-paced

rholzer's review

adventurous informative reflective tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

ducksfloat's review against another edition

Read in print?

libra_libris's review

this curiosity of a book: flights by olga tokarczuk. it defies genre definition, narrated by a quirky older woman who's lived a life of itinerancy. she enters and exits the series of vignettes that comprise this book, being personal or omniscient. she is a psych grad, fascinated with travel and travelers, and with the anomalies of the natural world.

the form of this book is both playful and cerebral. it ascribes, i think, to the gestalt principle of perception-- the whole, therefore, being greater than the sum of its parts. the whole here represents a panoptic view of travel. and all the parts are related tales of travelers; reflections on why we travel, the nature of travel-- the joys, anxieties and risks; meditations on bodies; and reproductions of ancient maps.

this is my first time with olga's work in translation. her writing is very readable and lively. if you're into unconventional narrative fiction, i would recommend.

grayjay's review against another edition

A fantastic fragmentary novel about travel. The psychology of travel, travel through time, travel in vehicles, and our bodies as vehicles? The prose is elegant and a treat to read. The fragments that make up the novel range from half page snippets to thirty page chunks and include a frame narrative about a woman traveling and observing travellers and travel spacers like airports. This is interspersed with stories that explore various travel themes. A family travels to a small island for vacation and the son and mother disappear for a whole day. A scientist travels to meet the widow of the man that perfected a fluid for preserving bodies. A woman abandons her family one day and decides to live on the street, spending her nights riding the subway.