Three Parts Dead, by Max Gladstone

jamiebarrows's review against another edition

I read a lot of fantasy, and after a while the worlds tend to feel more than a little bit similar. This book was very different. The magic system, and the world itself were both fresh and interesting. I am looking forward to reading more books in this same world.

nitorisedai's review against another edition

hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

kaisermatthias's review against another edition

A stunning tour-de-force of radical magickal thinking, radical polytheist theology, and investigative urban fantasy. If you tick any if those boxes as a reader, READ THIS BOOK.

misszoe's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

purplewidow's review against another edition

3.5 stars. I found the start to be slow. And few things were annoyingly repetitive. But a fantastic end. I was pleasantly surprised.

daaan's review against another edition

An entertaining diversion. It's possible I'd have liked this better if I'd read it rather than endure the audiobook, which is pretty dire. The narrator didn't seem to know how words are pronounced, how to do voices, how to place stress in sentences, in short how to do any of the important bits of reading aloud. The world is neat, I kinda like the idea of Necromantic forensic lawyers/accountants, it's a clever idea. I found the construction of the religions entertaining but deeply flawed, though that's a common error in fantasy, people think Polytheism is multi monotheism, which it isn't. The characters were OK, though the helpful narrator kept making me think they were all slightly brain damaged. I'll probably move onto the rest. Whether I subject myself to more audiobooks is up for debate.

mburnamfink's review against another edition

Gladstone writes vividly imagined, high magic weird fantasy. Think China Mieville in a pinstripe suit instead of a Che Guevara t-shirt. In a world where magic works like the legal system, a god has been murdered and it's up to expelled student and newly minted mage Tara Abernathy to get to the bottom of things before all contracts are due on the New Moon; that is if she survives a deadly duel between her new mentor and her last mentor, both sorcerers well on their way to lichdom, and playing political games three layers deep.

The action positively hurtles along, featuring a supporting cast of a technician-priest, a cop addicted to vampire bites, and gargoyles in love with a dead moon goddess. High level intrigue flows in all directions, and Tara is a pleasing combination of decisive and out-of-her-depth, knowing just enough to get into a lot of trouble, and trusting that her wits will get her out. Modern fantasy isn't really my jam, but this is great.

jercox's review against another edition

Read this 3rd, in chronological rather than publication order. Makes sense and plays well that way, but this one gives some details on the Craft that the first two lacked because they were written later.

feministreadinglist's review against another edition

Great Fun! A creative world with an American gods meets necromancy, steampunk, legal thriller type vibes.

jmmd's review against another edition

Two words: supernatural lawyers. Lots of fun, though it got a bit convoluted at the end.