It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

tzinreads's review against another edition

Love the it's always been you trope

beckylaxtonbass's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring medium-paced

seven17teenblack's review against another edition

I thought I started this year with the worst book I‘ve read so far but I‘m shocked to find out there are books even worse.
So we‘re collectively not talking about Atlas being an adult and fucking Lily who just turned 16? Lily‘s name? LILY BLOSSOM BLOOM AND A FLOWER SHOP? Ellen DeGeneres? A gay best friend you‘d bring to the party to make your crush jealous?
This whole book is a series of predictable, obnoxious actions that made me cringe and made me pause to not loose my remaining brain cells.
The whole book had no depth. The characters were spiceless. So many things didn‘t make sense to me, why would a rich woman step randomly into a shop and be like: hi I don‘t need the money at all but I‘m bored :/ People actually need jobs Alyssa, fuck off. It reminded me of popstars working at target for a day like „normal“ people to promote their albums. Was it necessary? There were so many details and every one of them was a poor choice. I could go on for hours but the most remarkable things were:
1) Ryle physically assaults her, almost r*ping her, Lily escapes to Atlas and like the third thing she does is write to Ellen ”I moved to Boston and opened my floral shop. Actual life goals. FTW!“ - I can‘t.
2) She had three men in her life, her father, Atlas and Ryle. 2/3 abused either her or her mom. Don‘t you think it‘s time for therapy before you turn to your long lost childhood boyfriend immediately after giving birth? Girl, calm down.
All of this indicates a sort of „well, that happened! oopsie :)“ touch. The protagonist literally had trauma, which was magically gone the second she saw Atlas.
3) the poor excuse of Ryle‘s anger. Just because something traumatic happened to you during your childhood, does not mean it excuses your abusive behaviour. You can‘t drop that and make your protagonist (which is supposed to resemble a strong female) accept it like that. ”Now that you told me, I understand..“ No girl. NO.

This book was on the same level as every 2013-2015 wattpad story and I wouldn‘t be surprised if the author herself got inspired by stories written by 14-15 year olds. It had the exact same humor and unlogical storyline.
I give it a plus point because it was easy to read, considering there was no depth at all.

fake_gyllen's review against another edition

While this book wasn’t my cup of tea, I did really appreciate its raw honesty and nuance. I’m not going to sit here and nitpick what I didn’t like because, ultimately, this is a story that has resonated deeply with many readers and has even helped some rediscover their love of reading, and I would never want to take that away from anyone.

sammalamma's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

sarabas's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

sam556889's review against another edition

This took me through an emotional rollercoaster. The ending was the only reason I rated it 4 stars, but my heart hurts with this read.

suvata's review against another edition

Reason I chose this one: Book with the highest average rating on my Goodreads to-read list

High drama! I really didn't think I would like this book as much as I did. But, it was definitely a page-turner and totally riveting. There is a trigger warning here for spousal abuse.

Saving my detailed review for the Postal Club #2 Journal ... If you're lucky enough to be a member, you can read it there.

desireeslibrary's review against another edition

This was a pretty fast read for me. CoHo usually isn't really my kind of read, but this book was definitely one of the best that I have read from her. Despite it being one of her better books, I am a bit disappointed given the amount of attention this book has received on social media. I feel like there was not much depth in the characters and almost no character development. I found myself not really caring what happened to any of them. I would have liked to see more about Ryle's character development, as I had a lot of unanswered questions regarding him. At times, it seemed to much like a rom-com with a lighthearted tone, especially when covering such serious topics. Overall it was a good fast read, however it was just too predictable and not really my style, and I probably won't be reading anymore CoHo.

katrinamoon's review against another edition

emotional hopeful relaxing sad tense medium-paced