Reviews tagging Miscarriage

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

merle_bookdragon's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Really enjoyed this read and finished it in more or less 24 hours!

Definitely an interesting and more sinister take on the fairy tale of the 12 dancing princesses and it thoroughly messed with my head. When I thought I had figured out what was real and what was an illusion the whole thing was tipped over its head again.

I truly am happy that Cassius turned back up. I was scared for a while at the beginning that he might be the bad guy but I quickly he wasn't. Morella being the evil stepmother fit much better into the fairy tale but I thought maybe it would be a different take. It wasn't, but that's okay. I'm just happy that Verity lives because damn that girl had a rough time and I'm glad Cassius saved her.

ALSO so happy that Annaleigh got to be Keeper of Light at the end. It suits her so well and I think she will have a good future with Cassius there. Or at least that's what I'm imagining for them.

“Oh my darling Annaleigh, remember when you let the turtles go? Some things can't be kept." He cupped my cheek, and my tears trickled down his fingers. "Be brave. Be strong. You'll always have my whole heart.”

bskell's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

cookreadrepeat's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

hannahs_library__'s review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

So uh... this book gave me a nightmare... but like pop off 4 stars!

House of Salt and Sorrows is a dark retelling of the 12 dancing princesses story and when I say dark, I mean DARK. I was not prepared for how spooky it was. For a stand alone fantasy this was great. The writing was beautiful and the romance subplot was so perfect too. I teared up at the end

hanna's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad medium-paced

just like the characters in this book, i, too, don't know what the fuck is going on anymore

slvt4b00ks's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

This book was such a treat. I have never really read anything tho close to horror. Definitely do not read at night if you’re prone to nightmares or scare easily. I love how many allusions there are to Edgar Alan Poe. There’s even a character named Edgar. This author has certainly mastered the macabre, I think mr. Poe himself would have loved this story. The ending had so many twists and turns, I was concerned that like our main character, I could not separate nightmare from reality. Please please please read this. I have no regrets other than that I wish I read this sooner. The book had been sitting on my shelf for a full YEAR, untouched. I almost feel as though the cover does not do it Justice.

beanie_bob's review

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Hello, Barbie in the Twelve Dancing Princesses fandom. I’m not even sure if I watched that Barbie movie as a kid, but I did play the Game Boy Advanced adaptation a lot (it’s a very hard game). As I started The House of Salt and Sorrows I also skimmed the original fairytale Wikipedia page to familiarize myself with the source material. This reimagining has such a unique gothic horror flair that truly transforms the story into its own entity.

THoSaS has some debut novel related shortcomings (some of the mystery’s elements are very easy to see coming, sometimes it would be difficult to understand where characters physically were in scenes, etc) but I found myself enjoying the novel more and more as it went on.

what I liked:
  • The fantasy world, culture, religions (I would love an unrelated sequel just to learn more about Arcannia)
  • The dresses - I want to draw all the dresses so bad!!
  • There was a period of time where every ‘dark YA fairytale retelling’ was the same, used tired tropes (esp about mental illness) and would shoehorn details from the original story. THoSaS is so refreshing to the genre/subgenre. It never felt like a boring rehash.
  • Very, very slight howl/sophie vibes from Cassius and Annaleigh

what I didn’t like:
  • Could have been even more gothic
  • SpoilerCamille kind of turns into a bitch out of nowhere?
  • SpoilerToo many villains, lack of hierarchy between them. The trickster and the weeping woman and the stepmother all have the same narrative weight.
  • Some lack of clarity of where characters physically are and where they’re going/how they got there (this is very minor though and not too prevalent in the novel)
  • I wanted more descriptions of what the men were wearing, both at the balls and during ordinary life. The girls were described with such vivid detail but most of the men were kind of nebulous.

offbrandclubsoda's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was such a rollercoaster for me. I came in with little knowledge of horror books and only the Barbie’s version of a 12 dancing princesses under my belt. Thankfully, the horror wasn’t very intense. I was so invested in the story the entire time and was very satisfied with the ending. I also loved the romance aspect of the book as I found myself falling in love at the same time as Annaleigh. I honestly did not predict the ending, which I liked. I particularly loved the motif of the sea turtles throughout the book; it really made the last few chapters that much more heart-wrenching. I’m so glad one of my followers recommended this book to me.

ka_ke's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

I loved this book! I’m not sure if the balls were necessary, but it all tied together! The ending is horribly sad, at least until the epilogue.