Reviews tagging Miscarriage

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

ka_ke's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

I loved this book! I’m not sure if the balls were necessary, but it all tied together! The ending is horribly sad, at least until the epilogue.

howlsbreakfast's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

THIS BOOK HAS ME FLOORED I LOVE IT. THE AMOUNT OF EMOTIONS THIS GAVE ME EVERY CHAPTER, CONFUSION, DISBELIEF, DOUBT. LOVE IT. I love Cassius Corum 🫶🫰.

nutmegandpumpkin's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

It took me a while to get into (it only started really picking up for me around pg 123). But once I did get into it, I really did enjoy it, though it was far from perfect.
At first it was hard to keep track of all the names because there were 12 sisters plus more characters (though four of the sisters are dead from the beginning). Although I liked having a large cast of characters, it was a bit confusing for a while.
There were also some cliché romance moments and a bit of instalove which isn’t my favorite but didn’t necessarily ruin the whole thing.
It felt like it was trying to be a little too much all at once: a psychological thriller, horror, fairy tale retelling, fantasy, romance, family drama, mystery. I think this might be why it felt a little all over the place and rushed in some areas.
I really just loved the ~vibes~ of the whole book and I did NOT expect it to get so dark and unsettling but I enjoyed that (despite it being a shock). I had also totally thought I guessed the twists but BOY was I WRONG lol.
The description was lovely and the tension, suspense, and mystery definitely kept me intrigued.

would recommend despite its faults  :)

madelynfrank's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

Much more horror than I was expecting. Lots of twists. I enjoyed the atmosphere but the world building was not done very well or at all.  The romance was very meh. None of there characters really had any personality. But it’s was solidly scary so props for that I guess.

jednakniekinga's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

queenrivanni's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

tkatt20's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

3.5-4 stars

I have very conflicted feelings about this book. On one hand I loved it, on the other hand, there were some very random things that happened that caught me off guard. For the most part I did love this book and I was so excited to read it when I found out it was a retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. The story is extremely dark and gothic, bordering on demonic, and the writing style really made the characters come alive as they were all very interesting with each one having their own personality and quirks.  The last 1/4 of the book became very fantasy heavy which I found could have been executed better if there was more of that element mentioned throughout the first part of the book, but that was my biggest issue and I got over it fairly quickly. This book had the perfect setup for a series but since it isn't the world-building as a little lacking and the ending seemed fairly rushed. There are some unanswered questions but with the story being first person I feel like it fits well with the narrator and I don't feel dissatisfied with the ending. All in all, I can definitely see myself coming back and rereading this book in the future.

a_novel_craving's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

mikaelaandherbooks's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

Fantastic piece of work! This was a great, spooky retelling of the 12 dancing princesses. I loved that it has you guessing until the end.

mreno5's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced