Reviews tagging Vomit

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

dadimabookernow's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

Hands down the best read of the year!

This book is so so good. It's so dark and twisty but so good. Very much reminds me of The haunting of hill house vibes.

bluebleeder2001's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

amandalorianxo's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I love how unique and twisted this story was. Despite this being a retelling of a fairy tale, Craig made this one of her own. Lots of exploration, especially with the violent / gore ish parts of the novel ! I enjoyed the red herrings and occasional side plots, not making the obvious person the obvious choice right away. Although a little wordy and could have been reduced by a few pages, the ending was such a sweet way to close the book. There were a few deaths that I wish didn’t happen but the love story that happens was enough to help me push through.

graciejames121's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

thatmillennialreader's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

columnclub's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I loved this! The Gothic elements were fantastic, and made for such a rich, spooky atmosphere and really tightly maintained tension. The worldbuilding was so thorough, and though the Twelve Dancing Princesses story was more of a jumping off point, the mystery that emerges from it was super well done. I generally agree that the romance here wasn't the strongest, but it had some really sweet moments, and for me it justified its presence in the novel.

I had a couple of initial qualms when we started getting some real answers, but the payoff pulled it back. On the whole, I had a great time reading this, and will definitely keep an eye out for future titles.

dazzling_aurora's review against another edition

dark fast-paced

emily_mh's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

4.25. Right from the beginning I loved the manor-on-an-island setting of this book as it really played in to the spooky atmosphere that Craig created. And I truly LOVED how spooky this book was; I was genuinely nervous to turn my lights out at night and go to sleep. There were a lot more horror elements than I was expecting which I think were really well done but definitely graphic. Given that this book is a standalone, the world-building was impressive and fleshed out. Throughout the book, I was continually surprised and kept on my toes with the various twists and turns.

However, there were definitely some parts of the book that I didn't like. The side characters felt at times one-dimensional. Annaleigh has 11 sisters, and only two of them felt like actual people to me. I thought Fisher could have had more page-time, as well as other characters who became more important at the end. The plot was also a little slow in the first half, compared to the fast pacing in the second half.
SpoilerAnnaleigh and Cassius' romance was insta-love for me and therefore I didn't enjoy it, and I thought it a little ridiculous that they were in love after hanging out a couple of times. Also, it was a little creepy because Cassius had been watching Annaleigh for ages, and I think he's also a lot older than her.
Finally, I didn't LOVE the ending as much as I could have, as
Spoilerit played into the evil stepmother trope, and two of the original four deaths turned out to not be "cursed."

bookcaptivated's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

taymariereads's review against another edition