Reviews tagging Death of parent

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

k_galloway's review

emotional mysterious sad slow-paced

merle_bookdragon's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Really enjoyed this read and finished it in more or less 24 hours!

Definitely an interesting and more sinister take on the fairy tale of the 12 dancing princesses and it thoroughly messed with my head. When I thought I had figured out what was real and what was an illusion the whole thing was tipped over its head again.

I truly am happy that Cassius turned back up. I was scared for a while at the beginning that he might be the bad guy but I quickly he wasn't. Morella being the evil stepmother fit much better into the fairy tale but I thought maybe it would be a different take. It wasn't, but that's okay. I'm just happy that Verity lives because damn that girl had a rough time and I'm glad Cassius saved her.

ALSO so happy that Annaleigh got to be Keeper of Light at the end. It suits her so well and I think she will have a good future with Cassius there. Or at least that's what I'm imagining for them.

“Oh my darling Annaleigh, remember when you let the turtles go? Some things can't be kept." He cupped my cheek, and my tears trickled down his fingers. "Be brave. Be strong. You'll always have my whole heart.”

sabidell's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

I loved this so much. I didn't anticipate so many twists and turns. It was the perfect mix of love and family with mystery and suspense. I loved the salt and sea imagery and setting. It had my attention from the moment I started it.

bskell's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

cookreadrepeat's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

tspice24's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

shannasbookshelf's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

"The rain came down harder, shrouding Highmoor in muddled grays. Great boulders at the bottom of the cliffs were tossed about by the raging sea like marbles in a little boy's pocket, their crashes blasting up the steep rocks and rivaling the thunder."
This was a fun book, and I'm glad I decided to give it another shot. I don't think I was really paying attention when I read this the first time around. I would definitely recommend this as a read. It's an amazing, unique retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses story. Additionally, many tellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses fit best within the spring and summer months. However, House of Salt and Sorrows fits amazingly into almost every season and month. There were a few moments where I was questioning Annaleigh's actions, especially with how they compared to her words (even more so near the end). However, it didn't bother me too much since it worked within the story and how the characters interacted with each other overall.

whatischellereading's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Annaleigh and her sisters live a sheltered life at Highmoor.  Four sisters have died in a short space of time, each death more tragic than the last.   Annaleigh begins to wonder if her sisters deaths were accidents... When Annaleigh meets a mysterious stranger, will she be the next to die?

I'm all over the place with how I feel about this book.  I enjoyed reading it but it left me feeling the most depressed I've felt since really a book.  It was all just a bit too morbid and gloomy for my taste.  That being said I really like the concept of the book and did enjoy the storyline but feel it could have been doing with just a little less death... *SPOILER* - the death of two small children was just not required in my book.  I have a thing about kids dying needlessly (much like most human beings...)

I would recommend this book to people who can deal with a bit more of a sombre fantasy but I don't feel like I'd be in a rush to read it again...

mysterymom46's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

slvt4b00ks's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

This book was such a treat. I have never really read anything tho close to horror. Definitely do not read at night if you’re prone to nightmares or scare easily. I love how many allusions there are to Edgar Alan Poe. There’s even a character named Edgar. This author has certainly mastered the macabre, I think mr. Poe himself would have loved this story. The ending had so many twists and turns, I was concerned that like our main character, I could not separate nightmare from reality. Please please please read this. I have no regrets other than that I wish I read this sooner. The book had been sitting on my shelf for a full YEAR, untouched. I almost feel as though the cover does not do it Justice.