Reviews tagging Death of parent

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was such a rollercoaster for me. I came in with little knowledge of horror books and only the Barbie’s version of a 12 dancing princesses under my belt. Thankfully, the horror wasn’t very intense. I was so invested in the story the entire time and was very satisfied with the ending. I also loved the romance aspect of the book as I found myself falling in love at the same time as Annaleigh. I honestly did not predict the ending, which I liked. I particularly loved the motif of the sea turtles throughout the book; it really made the last few chapters that much more heart-wrenching. I’m so glad one of my followers recommended this book to me.

katvou's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

ninjawarriorprincess's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

howlsbreakfast's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

THIS BOOK HAS ME FLOORED I LOVE IT. THE AMOUNT OF EMOTIONS THIS GAVE ME EVERY CHAPTER, CONFUSION, DISBELIEF, DOUBT. LOVE IT. I love Cassius Corum 🫶🫰.

readwithria's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I don't know how I feel about this book, but I know that I liked it enough to finish it.

I don't have much to say as a preamble so I'm going to get straight into the lists

Things I liked:
- I like that Craig decided to group up the younger sisters to make them easier to keep track of
- I really liked the setting and how the religious celebrations were linked to location
- I think the spooky/horror aspects of the book

Things I wish were different:
- While I appreciated grouping some of the sisters together, it did make them less individualistic, which I didn't love
- I could not for the life of me figure out how old Morella, Mercy, or Honor were. I know the triplets were 16 and Verity was 6, but the two older Graces are just somewhere in between I guess? And Morella was apparently not much older than Camille and Annaleigh (19 and 18) but had been working as a midwife for 5 years before the beginning of the book? I was very confused
- I wish there had been another chapter or two of resolution between the last chapter and the epilogue. I don't actually feel like I got any closure
- I almost think the last third of the book could have been stretched into a second book. Have book one stop at the lighthouse, or even earlier
Spoiler when the two triplets die
and have book two really dive into the madness and the beguilement with the unreliable narrator aspect played up.
- I don't think the world-building was as strong as it could have been. I didn't figure out something major about their religion until almost 75% of the way into the book. I think the book was trying to be too much with the fantasy religion, ghost story, murder mystery, romance/love triangle, and family drama. If it had picked two or three it would have been much stronger.

All in all, this was a 3.5 star read for me. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

nutmegandpumpkin's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

It took me a while to get into (it only started really picking up for me around pg 123). But once I did get into it, I really did enjoy it, though it was far from perfect.
At first it was hard to keep track of all the names because there were 12 sisters plus more characters (though four of the sisters are dead from the beginning). Although I liked having a large cast of characters, it was a bit confusing for a while.
There were also some cliché romance moments and a bit of instalove which isn’t my favorite but didn’t necessarily ruin the whole thing.
It felt like it was trying to be a little too much all at once: a psychological thriller, horror, fairy tale retelling, fantasy, romance, family drama, mystery. I think this might be why it felt a little all over the place and rushed in some areas.
I really just loved the ~vibes~ of the whole book and I did NOT expect it to get so dark and unsettling but I enjoyed that (despite it being a shock). I had also totally thought I guessed the twists but BOY was I WRONG lol.
The description was lovely and the tension, suspense, and mystery definitely kept me intrigued.

would recommend despite its faults  :)

zoepagereader's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was a wild time, and not in a good way. An author has to know when there are too many plot points in a book and I’m sorry, but a Twelve Dancing Princesses murder mystery retelling set in a newly created fictional world with many murders and ghosts as well as new gods and a (maybe) love triangle with a Monday’s Not Coming styled semi-twist at the end is too much. Way too much.

directorpurry's review

dark mysterious sad medium-paced

thereaderfriend's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

I wanted to love this book, one bc it’s a 12 dancing princesses retelling, and two bc the romance was good. Also really loved the atmosphere and spookiness. Truly a horror fantasy YA novel.

But there were a few problems that were great enough to knock this rating from a 4 star down to 3.

Without spoilers, this mc has little going for her. She’s rich and pretty and entitled and does care about the people she loves.. but she doesn’t do much except figure out the problems and even then she was told the problems. Seemed like she wasn’t trying to find the villain/murderer and just was exasperated from the grief ensued upon her—which I can understand but to an extent.
SpoilerBut the outcomes would’ve happened even if she had done nothing.

Now here for the main reasons with spoilers.
Spoiler<Why did Cassius come to her and await Annaleigh? Never brought that up besides the fact that he was looking after his father. And why were the 3 sisters deaths not explained? That seems to be a stupid plot point because it didn’t even shine light on a lesson. And also, I thought the point of this was that the dancing was supposed to kill people? It hasn’t killed the first five people! Their deaths were substantial but not enough to give in my opinion. Also, I’m conflicted with Cassius bc he could’ve killed those five people but he didn’t. I think that would’ve enticed me more if it was him rather the step mom. But I knew it’d be her from that first moment she was peeved that her son wouldn’t be heir. I do like that he loved Annaleigh though and was kinda sweet.

madelynfrank's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

Much more horror than I was expecting. Lots of twists. I enjoyed the atmosphere but the world building was not done very well or at all.  The romance was very meh. None of there characters really had any personality. But it’s was solidly scary so props for that I guess.