Reviews tagging Pregnancy

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

chichalexisse's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

YAYYY! My first horror wohooOoOoo. My favorite part is all the kilig scenes and the last few chapters because it's so fast-paced, and Morella got threatened, suffered and died. I questioned everything, and at one point I said to france that I don't know anything at all.

I think it will be read mostly for the plot because I didn't get attached to the characters as much as I would like to. But I still liked Annaleigh and ofc Cassius, my half-god love.

My sweet Verity, I just wanna hug you. You didn't deserve every single one of those bad experiences.

Hi, fisher rip.

My favorite name out of all of them is Ligeia. (Fisher makes sense but…. huh? Hannah? why?)

Thanks so much for the rec france my sweet little book recommendator

tspice24's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

shannasbookshelf's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

"The rain came down harder, shrouding Highmoor in muddled grays. Great boulders at the bottom of the cliffs were tossed about by the raging sea like marbles in a little boy's pocket, their crashes blasting up the steep rocks and rivaling the thunder."
This was a fun book, and I'm glad I decided to give it another shot. I don't think I was really paying attention when I read this the first time around. I would definitely recommend this as a read. It's an amazing, unique retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses story. Additionally, many tellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses fit best within the spring and summer months. However, House of Salt and Sorrows fits amazingly into almost every season and month. There were a few moments where I was questioning Annaleigh's actions, especially with how they compared to her words (even more so near the end). However, it didn't bother me too much since it worked within the story and how the characters interacted with each other overall.

mysterymom46's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

njesenicka26's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

slvt4b00ks's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

This book was such a treat. I have never really read anything tho close to horror. Definitely do not read at night if you’re prone to nightmares or scare easily. I love how many allusions there are to Edgar Alan Poe. There’s even a character named Edgar. This author has certainly mastered the macabre, I think mr. Poe himself would have loved this story. The ending had so many twists and turns, I was concerned that like our main character, I could not separate nightmare from reality. Please please please read this. I have no regrets other than that I wish I read this sooner. The book had been sitting on my shelf for a full YEAR, untouched. I almost feel as though the cover does not do it Justice.

snowmuzu's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad medium-paced

HOSAS was okay. It had a promising start, and I was really into the atmosphere of the story. I liked the setting of the story as well as the world being inhabited by real, physical gods -- I just wished more time had been spent on fleshing out the world. Annaleigh's siblings, aside from Camilla and Verity, did not have their own personalities. Instead, the younger three were lumped together like the triplets, and I had trouble remembering who was who because most of the sisters were just names to me. The triplets being exactly the same personally peeved me. It is such a cliche that siblings born together must be 100% alike. As a twin myself, I can personally say that while we are very much alike, we have our own interests and hobbies.

The romance in this book was not my favorite. Annaleigh seemed to instantly love Cassius for no other reason than his attractive face (not that I can fault her for that). There was little growth in their relationship, and the kiss scenes did not move me.

Additionally, the ending of the book was too obvious. I guessed most of the ending about a quarter of the way in.

Despite my criticisms, Craig's writing was easy to digest, and the mystery of Eulalie's death was compelling enough to keep me mildly interested for most of the book.

purplehulk713's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

Macabre and enchanting, like a ballgown woven from spiderwebs. The world-building of Arcannia, especially of the gods and their canon was fascinating and clever. “We are the People of the Salt.” The motif of dancing was exquisite, both as a breathless art and a dangerous temptation, magical, even. The story’s mystery is incredible, always keeping you guessing, even if you do grasp some pieces of the puzzle you don’t have them all. Death surrounds Highmoor, but Annaleigh seeks to protect life, her cleverness and loyalty to her family (especially her sisters) makes her a lovable, formidable, and powerful protagonist. Believe me, you’ll have trouble figuring out who the antagonist is. The salty seaside atmosphere is the perfect setting for a horror retelling of a classic fairytale. There are also plenty of edge-of-your-seat reveals. The one thing about the climax that slightly disappointed me was that it didn’t let Annaleigh shine as much as I thought she would, taking on some bold protective battle against the evil invading her home. But I guess it still showcased her development in avoiding temptation. It also showed her strength even in the face of loss, perhaps her greatest challenge in the novel. A unique pantheon of gods with potent and wonderfully crafted abilities creates a mesmerizing lore. Erin A. Craig does an impeccable job at balancing and blending the opulent and the sinister. Do you wish to escape your grief? Rest from the bitter and wearisome struggles of the everyday? Do you long for the joy that makes your heart light and your soul sing? Can you hear the melody? Well then, dance with me?

offbrandclubsoda's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was such a rollercoaster for me. I came in with little knowledge of horror books and only the Barbie’s version of a 12 dancing princesses under my belt. Thankfully, the horror wasn’t very intense. I was so invested in the story the entire time and was very satisfied with the ending. I also loved the romance aspect of the book as I found myself falling in love at the same time as Annaleigh. I honestly did not predict the ending, which I liked. I particularly loved the motif of the sea turtles throughout the book; it really made the last few chapters that much more heart-wrenching. I’m so glad one of my followers recommended this book to me.