Reviews tagging Gaslighting

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

tspice24's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

mysterymom46's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

kitten's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was such a rollercoaster for me. I came in with little knowledge of horror books and only the Barbie’s version of a 12 dancing princesses under my belt. Thankfully, the horror wasn’t very intense. I was so invested in the story the entire time and was very satisfied with the ending. I also loved the romance aspect of the book as I found myself falling in love at the same time as Annaleigh. I honestly did not predict the ending, which I liked. I particularly loved the motif of the sea turtles throughout the book; it really made the last few chapters that much more heart-wrenching. I’m so glad one of my followers recommended this book to me.

nutmegandpumpkin's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

It took me a while to get into (it only started really picking up for me around pg 123). But once I did get into it, I really did enjoy it, though it was far from perfect.
At first it was hard to keep track of all the names because there were 12 sisters plus more characters (though four of the sisters are dead from the beginning). Although I liked having a large cast of characters, it was a bit confusing for a while.
There were also some cliché romance moments and a bit of instalove which isn’t my favorite but didn’t necessarily ruin the whole thing.
It felt like it was trying to be a little too much all at once: a psychological thriller, horror, fairy tale retelling, fantasy, romance, family drama, mystery. I think this might be why it felt a little all over the place and rushed in some areas.
I really just loved the ~vibes~ of the whole book and I did NOT expect it to get so dark and unsettling but I enjoyed that (despite it being a shock). I had also totally thought I guessed the twists but BOY was I WRONG lol.
The description was lovely and the tension, suspense, and mystery definitely kept me intrigued.

would recommend despite its faults  :)

onthesamepage's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

The Thaumas family is cursed. Everyone says so. What else could explain the sudden deaths of four of the twelve daughters? But the last death feels suspicious to Annaleigh, and she's determined to find out if her sisters were murdered.

This is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, and it is pretty dark. The author's writing is very atmospheric, and I was easily sucked into the story. Thinking back on it, the pacing was probably a bit slower than it needed to be, but I barely noticed. I was invested and creeped out and curious to see how everything would play out.

That said, this book is not without flaws. The explanation at the end throws several incidents that happen earlier on into question, because in hindsight, they don't make much sense.
SpoilerWhy did we have a love triangle at all when Fisher was never real? What was Kosamaras's purpose in doing that?
There's also no way to really guess at the outcome; the foreshadowing is much to sparse for that, and I do think that's a drawback.

There's some really weird characterization of the father, and his personality seems to undergo a radical change out of nowhere. It mostly felt like a way to move the plot along. The main romance is also very insta-love. The world isn't explained much either--there are apparently deities, and they walk among humans at least part of the time, but we don't get much more information about them or about how religion and magic work in this world. Last but not least, the ending wraps up a bit too nicely and definitely makes the book lose a bit of impact.

I really enjoyed the writing however, and I appreciate this type of horror, so I'll definitely pick up more by the author.

zoepagereader's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was a wild time, and not in a good way. An author has to know when there are too many plot points in a book and I’m sorry, but a Twelve Dancing Princesses murder mystery retelling set in a newly created fictional world with many murders and ghosts as well as new gods and a (maybe) love triangle with a Monday’s Not Coming styled semi-twist at the end is too much. Way too much.

robin_reads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Not at all what I expected but the gothic horror fantasy novel of my dreams.

queenrivanni's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

tkatt20's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

3.5-4 stars

I have very conflicted feelings about this book. On one hand I loved it, on the other hand, there were some very random things that happened that caught me off guard. For the most part I did love this book and I was so excited to read it when I found out it was a retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. The story is extremely dark and gothic, bordering on demonic, and the writing style really made the characters come alive as they were all very interesting with each one having their own personality and quirks.  The last 1/4 of the book became very fantasy heavy which I found could have been executed better if there was more of that element mentioned throughout the first part of the book, but that was my biggest issue and I got over it fairly quickly. This book had the perfect setup for a series but since it isn't the world-building as a little lacking and the ending seemed fairly rushed. There are some unanswered questions but with the story being first person I feel like it fits well with the narrator and I don't feel dissatisfied with the ending. All in all, I can definitely see myself coming back and rereading this book in the future.