Reviews tagging Body horror

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

ka_ke's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

I loved this book! I’m not sure if the balls were necessary, but it all tied together! The ending is horribly sad, at least until the epilogue.

howlsbreakfast's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

THIS BOOK HAS ME FLOORED I LOVE IT. THE AMOUNT OF EMOTIONS THIS GAVE ME EVERY CHAPTER, CONFUSION, DISBELIEF, DOUBT. LOVE IT. I love Cassius Corum 🫶🫰.

nutmegandpumpkin's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

It took me a while to get into (it only started really picking up for me around pg 123). But once I did get into it, I really did enjoy it, though it was far from perfect.
At first it was hard to keep track of all the names because there were 12 sisters plus more characters (though four of the sisters are dead from the beginning). Although I liked having a large cast of characters, it was a bit confusing for a while.
There were also some cliché romance moments and a bit of instalove which isn’t my favorite but didn’t necessarily ruin the whole thing.
It felt like it was trying to be a little too much all at once: a psychological thriller, horror, fairy tale retelling, fantasy, romance, family drama, mystery. I think this might be why it felt a little all over the place and rushed in some areas.
I really just loved the ~vibes~ of the whole book and I did NOT expect it to get so dark and unsettling but I enjoyed that (despite it being a shock). I had also totally thought I guessed the twists but BOY was I WRONG lol.
The description was lovely and the tension, suspense, and mystery definitely kept me intrigued.

would recommend despite its faults  :)

directorpurry's review

dark mysterious sad medium-paced

madelynfrank's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

Much more horror than I was expecting. Lots of twists. I enjoyed the atmosphere but the world building was not done very well or at all.  The romance was very meh. None of there characters really had any personality. But it’s was solidly scary so props for that I guess.

rubbertree14's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

Lovely twist of horror, I was mesmerized by the slow incline into madness our protagonist was going through. Would have loved a deeper connection to literally anyone in the book, I think 12 sisters was just too many to keep track in a shorter book, I didn’t feel like any of them had any distinguishable characterization. Even our main characters felt a little 2 dimensional.  Wonderful mythology however and good stand-alone book!

ewarde's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

Enticing the whole way through. Borderline psychological thriller.

1997's review

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

The Twelve Princesses retelling with ghosts, murder, and mystery? I’m in. I simply disappeared into this world as soon as I opened the book. Pick this up during a dark and stormy night; you won’t regret it!

rhie's review

dark tense fast-paced

Great author did an amazing job with the gruesome imagery of this book! It was truly scary and really visceral description. And I loved the unraveling of illusion throughout, as the reader you started to feel as unhinged as the main character and I wasn't sure what was real and what wasn't. I do feel that the romance had strange pacing though, and the ending was odd. It felt a little unsatisfactory to me.

Spoiler
I'm gonna go on a weird little tangent about the aspect I didn't like.
The ending was weird, the dad died I guess but that was an after thought it seemed like and wasn't explained? I guess he died in the fire, which maybe we're supposed to feel like he deserved because he hits women? And the villain wasn't defeated they both just sort of went away. And I was really confused about the terms of the bargain, I thought the deal was for the daugthers to all die and the only way to stop it would be to kill Morella? But then she got killed by the trickster... and he just took his weird random son and left. Shouldn't the main character have defeated him or something? I also felt suspicious of Morella most of the book so I don't know if that was supposed to be a big twist. I did like the twist of them dancing in their rooms with no magic door, that was very ghoulish and spooky.
Spoiler