Reviews tagging Cursing

Looking for Alaska, by John Green

nina_iv's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

I like the vibes even though it is diff from what i have ever read

navayiota's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

Spoiler I didn't really enjoy most of this book. I found the characters annoying cause they all take themselves way too seriously. Maybe I'm angry cause they remind me of myself and how mysterious I wanted to be at their ages, and if so I guess the writing is genius for evoking that kind of feeling in me, but it really hit a nerve. The punchlines Alaska delivered at the end of some chapters really pissed me off cause this seems like the exact kind of character kids with god complexes (me in middle school) would attach to, and I think the world has enough smartasses already, we dont need more. Maybe I'm being overly critical, I don't know, I think this book might grow on me if I read it again after a while. The last third of it was a lot more interesting, and I think that might have been affected by the fact that I was reading it after learning about a death in my family, and had to listen to all my family members express some of the thoughts the characters had about Alaska's death. Maybe me being in a more sensitive state made me connect to the death of a young girl more, even if I didn't really care about her as a person. I did feel very bad for her though. It seems to me like Alaska had BPD, I'm not sure if it was John Green's vision to make her like that, if it was then she was super underdeveloped, but if it wasn't then that's just a funny coincidence.

romanysky's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

ruby_gordon's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

markovskaiskra's review against another edition

dark emotional funny mysterious

sydneylount's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad medium-paced

reuben394's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

jillkaarlela's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

This was such a hyped up book, with people saying it changed their lives, and that just didn’t happen for me. It was introspective, with a real look at grief and morality within the scope of teenage life, however, there were so many things unanswered that it left me with more questions than answers. However, I think that is the point. To ask ourselves, “how do you get out of this labyrinth?” I wouldn’t say that this book was bad by any stretch of the imagination, it did make me think about important questions, but I just didn’t love it as much as I thought that I would.

namesnoah's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

I thought I was gonna hate this book, really.
The synopsis sounded so much like just another angsty teen coming-of-age slash romance book with a supposed "tragedy" that's not actually tragic but the author just bugs you with it until you come to believe it is.
I also thought that John Green, whose The Fault in our Stars I really didn't like, couldn't possibly write anything that I—a person not too fond of romance books in general—would truly enjoy.

But boy, was I wrong!

Looking for Alaska is not a romance. At least not a typical one.
More so, it's a book about grief, and friendship, and famous last words. It's about how to deal with loss, about hope—and yes, also about a bunch of angsty teenagers who drink way too much and smoke wayyyy too many cigarettes.
But maybe that's just how it's supposed to be.

I loved the storyline and pacing. It was one of those books that didn't make me impatient as I neared the end, but excited. It had me at the edge of my seat until the very last page. (Okay, nearly. No book can stop my impatience.)

I really enjoyed John Green's unique writing style, though. There were loads of intelligent and interesting quotes and questions that forced you to think about them. Pay attention and this book was full of little threads with beginnings and ends. So many quotes, so many references, they came back. Green chose his metaphors, authors to cite, and allegories undoubtedly wisely. Richly refreshing.

My only point of critique—the characters. I couldn't absolutely, wholly love them, because wow, they were unique, special, and so not relatable.
It was like reading a story from the first-person perspective of a stone—a story starring more stones.
I don't know, I just couldn't relate to any of the characters at all, ESPECIALLY (and that's the worst part) to the main character.
His thoughts were just so... puberty-teenager-like at times (and no, I really don't want to elaborate on that).

Conclusion: Looking for Alaska is a funny, but also emotional and intelligent read and definitely worth checking out.

I want to end this review with one of my favorite Alaska Young quotes:

"Except luck is for suckers." (Alaska Young), p. 53 in my edition.

tetetaeskz's review against another edition

dark emotional funny inspiring reflective sad medium-paced