Howl and Other Poems, by Allen Ginsberg, William Carlos Williams

soupmetaphor's review against another edition

informative reflective tense

line_so_fine's review against another edition

Jess was reading this when he met Rory. So it's gotta be good, right?

booksaremyjam's review against another edition

Gorgeous, soul-rocking poetry.

geniaconstance's review against another edition

To be honest, I ardently hate Beat generation for numerous reasons and thus a line must be drawn to separate the art from the artist. For I quite love this collection. It's highly cinematic and relatively accessible. The themes generally revolve around the American dream. Ginsberg voiced his concern towards what America has become through this oeuvre.

America I'm putting my queer shoulder to the wheel.

This verse is probably my favourite. It seems so simple and yet very vulnerable. In this specific poem, one sees how the speaker talks to America as if talking to a friend. And that verse sounds like the speaker offers America a help but at the same time the speaker feels like in order to do so, America must first accept the speaker as their true self since lgbtq+ community at the time wasn't very welcome. As shown in A Supermarket in California, America was still holding to the concept of heterosexual families:

Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!

Well, I guess I get down to Beat poetry too.

sunflowermona's review against another edition

SONG

“The weight of the world
is love.

anguishes
till born
in human— […]“

(p. 50)

Uneven collection. I like some of the poems but there are also poems which are absolute nonsense imo.

hhhhhggguu's review against another edition

howl is a brilliant poem. I wish I had read it much much sooner. it has an incredible frantic rhythm, it seems i couldn't read it fast enough.

pixiejstoner's review against another edition

This book was reading hard to rate. There were poems I loved and there were times I think even Allen Ginsberg was tired of his own shit, I never want to hear the words “holy cock” come from a man again

ella__28's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense fast-paced

vishnu_balamurugan's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

jordi's review against another edition

Interesante introduccion (para mi) del movimiento Beats.
Entiendo el contexto historico de esto pero no me ha emocionado especialmente.
Creo que no es especialmente bueno y si no fuera por el contexto anteriormente mencionado no seria especialmente conocido.