rainbowbookworm's review against another edition

I was enthralled by the characters in this book. I particularly enjoyed how we learn from the residents of post-WWII Guernsey themselves. However, the resolution was too abrupt.

dinipandareads's review against another edition

I loved this book! This book is one of those feel good stories with such lovely and endearing characters! Although it took me a little time to get into the story at the beginning (only because I’m not always a fan of the letter style used to convey stories),

I adored Juliet’s voice. Her character and disposition never failed to get a smile out of me and often times left me laughing at her silliness and humor. I really think she’s a great character. Then there’s Dawsey - the quiet, thoughtful one. It was interesting because although he is one of the main characters, towards the end, Dawsey hardly wrote letters so the majority of what we heard of him was from other people (mostly Juliet). I could still picture him clearly though and I half fell in love with his steady, calming presence as well.

Then there’s Isola with her quirkiness, Elizabeth and Christian with their love and giant hearts, Amelia with her homeliness, Eben and Eli with their broken and mended hearts and lives. So many more characters to love, though! So much love, friendship and especially heartbreak as a result of the Germans and the war. I never realized that the Channel Islands were occupied (I’m not the biggest history buff) and that people from the islands even ended up in concentration camps too, so this was also an illuminating/educational read!

All these characters feel like old friends now and I’m sad to leave this book behind. I’m wondering if I should watch the movie... it has pretty good ratings but I think I’d be upset if they changed a lot of the story line or the characters!

bumblebee33's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

rhondaender's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

qofdnz's review against another edition

Having watched the preview for the movie version of this book I was intrigued. Then I picked up the book at a 2nd hand sale and decided it must be read first. It's a one day read but a sad, moving, beautiful tale. I hope the movie lives up to it.

carys_roberson's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

jaimeileen's review against another edition

I absolutely adored this book. It's composed entirely in letters from one character to another, which made it an easy read. The characters were all delightfully realized, and the story hooked me immediately. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself reading a story about people surviving life during German occupation in WWII, instead of a full on romance novel - which was what I thought this book to be. A little historical fiction always make me happy. I would absolutely recommend this book!

bookworm_baggins's review against another edition

This was one of my favorite books from last year, so much so that I planned to re-read this summer. The second time through endeared this story to me even more. I love the letter-style of the book, and I could not help but love so many of the characters.

I listened to some if the audio book of this story, but ended up reading most in the actual book since Martin had the CDs in his car. The audio book is excellent - several different voices reading the different letters.

teganbeese's review against another edition

This was delightful. I enjoyed it so much more than I anticipated. How heartbreaking the author died before it was released. I would love to read more from her. Full review to come.

nadia32's review against another edition