The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson

ferrisscottr's review against another edition

This is the last book of the original Mistborn trilogy and it flows the way the previous two did. So what does that mean? It means that at any given point (except the last part of the book) it felt like nothing was happening but if you thought back to the previous 100 or 200 pages there was just a ton of things happening. Even though it felt like nothing was happening I just couldn't wait to turn the page. Does that make sense?

I will say that the last 300 pages of this book (2400 pages in the trilogy) did seem to fly by in breakneck speed.

Don't like spoilers myself and I really don't know how to describe the book without spoiling things so this will be short.

Sanderson ties everything up nicely by the end - and by nicely I do mean that I hated the ending and almost bumped the rating down to four stars just to express my displeasure at the last 20 pages of the book.

But the story flowed and it was gripping, I loved the characters - they were fully formed, developed and at the end of the day I really really cared about them all. I can't find too many faults in this series or this book (except the ending). This is as epic as epic fantasy can be - the story wasn't just about a farmboy who gets magic - this book literally is about world changing events on a grand scale with a huge cast of characters etc. etc. etc.

So
Five stars for the book, five stars for the series, five stars for Brandon Sanderson (this was the first series of books I've read by him).

If epic fantasy done right is your thing then this is a very enthusiastic recommendation.
If you were looking for a review where I get into details of the plot - sorry, go to Wikipedia - just don't want to have any spoilers.

prity_b's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring reflective slow-paced

darlesbarkley's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

moonrisemads's review

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring slow-paced

void45's review

adventurous fast-paced

areaderintime's review against another edition

* DNF @ pg 365 * ugh this makes me so sad.

I went into this book so excited and I just can’t finish it. The first half has been super boring and nothing new nor interesting has occurred. This book is putting me in a reading slump and I just don’t want to waste my time with this book anymore. SO SO SAD to do this but I think it’s for the best... also, I marked this book as read in 2015 so it does not affect my reading goal for 2021.

mfox0402's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful medium-paced

I am annoyed by how much I loved this. Revelation after revelation about the secrets of this universe happen in this one finally. But the writing is still rough. I really enjoyed the ending.

gandalfdg's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

webeca02's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

faenth's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced