The Twisted Ones, by T. Kingfisher

xamonster's review against another edition

Holy shit.

I am unendingly grateful that I cannot directly see a window from my bed. I do have something that makes clicky sounds nearby and I may have to relocate it.

This was a delightfully creepy way to start October.

mariexcelsior's review against another edition

dark funny tense medium-paced

midnightgarden's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

So scary! And so cool!

brunettejnas's review

I don't know what I was expecting going into this but I ended up loving it. This is one of the few scary books that actually caused me to shiver. The descriptions are great and the narrator is engaging (as are the side characters). Well written and original. 5/5

haileyswhimsicalpages's review

Creepy as hell. Like an adult Coraline... No effigies for me please and thanks. This book has really stuck with me and continues to creep me out on dark spooky nights.

jordaline's review

I'm like slightly... confused??

laurenren's review against another edition

The premise was so interesting and the beginning chapters set up the rest of the book to be frightening and unfold an elaborate plot, but I wasn't scared once. There were a couple things that happened that were a little creepy, but I would not consider this to be horror at all. I loved Melissa/Mouses's inner dialogue, it was easy to feel connected to her and I thought she was really funny. I was just bored for most of the book, which was really disappointing.

elmeco's review

A fun and spooky time that serves as an excellent homage and expansion to Arthur Machen's "The White People". Luckily Vernon/Kingfisher leaves enough ambiguity revolving around the White People which I can see underwhelming or disappointing readers but honestly, what it establishes and implies about the world(s?) is just as terrifying.

crone85's review

adventurous dark funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced

houdini117's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted tense fast-paced