Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm

kit_kate's review against another edition

adventurous dark

curiouslysplendid's review against another edition

I think I've read a few versions of this, which probably means I've read the More Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales or something.

eyreguide's review against another edition

Philip Pullman's compilation of fifty Brothers Grimm fairy tales, includes many of the popular tales, but more interesting to me, includes a few that I was not at all familiar with. And some of those tales were very different from what I think of as the traditional fairy tale. Some were moral tales or ghost stories which made me interested in what other types of stories the Brothers Grimm collected. Because Philip Pullman also includes commentary and annotations after each fairy tale in this book, the reader can understand the background and influence of the text, as well as the author's opinions of it. This was probably the best part of reading this book, because I enjoyed getting a perspective on each story and how and why it was changed or altered from it's original version.

Philip Pullman makes each tale more accessible by modernizing the speech and sometimes giving a little more back story or shades of character to each tale. And from his commentary, he also takes a little from different versions of the tale to give the story more depth. I liked Philip Pullman's storytelling, but I did miss the old world speech of usual fairy tale translations. This book is certainly a great gift for children, but I relish the archaic language and speech because it gives the tale more of an atmosphere, and I missed that in this book. For fans of the genre, I'd recommend picking up Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm as an addition to your collection for the interesting comments and annotations, and the inclusion of several lesser known tales.

aarnold2's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

sjoukje's review

It's nice to read the unglamoured versions of the fairytales which we grew up with. Sometimes it can get a bit repetitive and stories have similar plots.

signealtersten's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing

lottyyy's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense

heyalexa's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

caffeineaddict980's review against another edition

This is a beautiful collection of the original fairytales,  the illustrations are amazing along with all of the tales.
In particular,  my favourites were:

Volume 1: