sydneyparno's review

emotional reflective slow-paced

nicolemillo's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

Although the family parts of the start were sweet, I think the latter parts were more interesting for me. Thoughts about hunting, Black belonging and history/lineage (especially in America), and reclaiming place were all discussions I find prickly and I liked hearing his perspective on these topics. On the whole though, I actually feel a little empty about it all, as though I was told a lot of things but still stayed mostly on the surface or maybe it’s just that it didn’t seem to have a strong enough through-line for me? I’m not sure..

bethannereadsbooks's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

beholderess's review

reflective medium-paced

slowburnsrus's review against another edition

Memoirs are not my favorites, and this suffered from many of the typical flaws of the genre: self indulgent digressions, rambling narrative structure, and a lack of a clear and compelling story. Home Place is most successful in its plentiful and poetic descriptions of the natural world. The prose is frequently beautiful.

carracarmenchu's review

emotional inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

This autobiography resembles the poetic, nature-worshipping style of Walt Whitman or Mary Oliver. However, there is a difference, the writer is a black person. And he is aware of that difference, of that feature he carries in a world of diversity:

My plumage is a kaleidoscopic rainbow of an eternal hope and the deepest blue of despair and darkness. All of these hues are me; I am, in the deepest sense, colored.

Yet he is also aware of his right to belong to that place, to that country, to those forests. The difference, the actual difference about his white fellows is that he has to claim that right, fight for his place in that society, in that country, in his field of study - ornithology/ bird watching, a field dominated by middle-aged, middle-class white men - and that legitimate claim is based on his connection to nature. And that is what Lanham narrates in this memoir: how that connection develops throughout his life.

At the same time, he discovers the marvels of the natural surroundings, the history of his family, and his skin; he learns about kindness and cruelty too, but exactly this connection with nature, this sense of wonder keeps him optimistic:

But the land, in spite of its history, still holds hope for making good on the promises we thought it could, especially if we can reconnect to it.

camarua's review

hopeful informative reflective relaxing medium-paced

ana_distracted's review against another edition

This book is truly wonderful! It was like connecting with a friend I'd never met.

sehovde's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

madzzie's review against another edition

informative slow-paced