Leviathan Wakes, by James S.A. Corey

radiancereads's review against another edition

This book was disappointing. I still definetly enjoyed the plot and found it intriguing (I also started the show, which is super good), but I just found the main characters so unrelatable. Perhaps I'm just not the demographic for this? Some parts I found super interesting, others I just did not care. I think I will definitely continue on with the series because there are elements that I'm interested in. I hope the pieces start to get connected a bit more and the characters have some actual development.

chadkoh's review against another edition

There is a LOT going on in this book: genre mashups, social commentary, complex narrative structure, space, opera... the world-building is fantastic, but I wish he put more effort into character building.

raven_morgan's review against another edition

Reread after watching the first season of "The Expanse". A lot of the spare writing in the first half is what made this not quite work for me, but having the visuals of the TV series helped a lot. Plus it's always fascinating to see what gets changed for television adaption. Really loved the second half in particular this time around. So much creepiness!

kaylito6's review against another edition

I think my expectations for this book were too high. I wanted to love it so badly. I just don’t vibe with plot heavy books like this, and also I think the Julie/miller “relationship” was very creepy and could have been done differently.

s0litarytea's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

katchoo1's review against another edition

Great worldbuilding, characters I cared about who were not perfect but who had major flaws, and a satisfying complete story that nevertheless held out a lot of longer narrative threads that will keep me coming back to read more of this series. I also am very excited to see the TV show!

neko_cam's review against another edition

Two thirds hard sci-fi, one part science fantasy, and a damn good read on the whole.

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach. The major political powers are the United Nations on Earth, the Mars Government, and the Outer Planets Alliance who are themselves only a quasi-governmental force at best.
SpoilerProtogen have retrieved a pre-ancient biological alien artefact that they've called the Protomolecule and their sample has gotten loose.

Jim Holden is a believably naive idealist and his mistakes are all carried out with the best of intentions. Detective Miller is his contrasting straight-man, a jaded pragmatist though his primary motivations do seem altruistic.

I particularly appreciate that the characters never feel shoehorned together for the sake of narrative convenience. They rub against each other with significant friction, they fight, and they separate when it's a realistic thing for them to do.

thequeenbeekeeper's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

jess_eats_books's review against another edition

Okay, I get the hype now...

I was worried that watching the series first would ruin the books for me, but I feel like they’ve helped me better understand some plot elements. The characters I loved in the series seem fairly true to the books, but much more fleshed out, which is a delight to read.

This series feels like epic fantasy dressed as sci-fi, and I mean that in the best possible way. I thoroughly enjoyed this romp, and can’t wait to explore more of the characters and plot.

ricky_longoria's review against another edition

adventurous challenging tense medium-paced