heatherace's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

bookwyrmknits's review

This is fun to listen to, though I feel this would work better as a visual series and not just audio. (I haven't checked to see if it was also produced as a video; since it was done specifically for Audible I doubt it.) Though, once we're able to travel again, I want to make a point to visit Harlem and see some of the sights / taste some of the foods described in this audiobook.

kimj's review

more like a podcast than a true audiobook. very enjoyable with some interesting history about harlem.

charity1313's review

Some may argue this isn't a "book", not even an "audiobook", and it could be true that this format is stretching the term. However, I think of it like a collection of short stories. Each day is a chapter and within those chapters we get a variety of narratives as Marcus Samuelsson speaks to many different authorities within the Harlem community. I learned new histories, new ideas, new points of view - all of which were fascinating, but really what drew me in was the passion in the different voices. And I don't think the passion would have come through as vibrantly if this information had been recorded in any other way. Excellent.

wanderlustlover's review against another edition

Spring 2020 (Feb);

I love, love, loved this read. I expected so little of what ended up happening, and was drug out with current entirely. The focus on food, politics, race, class, poverty, culture is so broad and so gorgeous. I was really sad this book started ending when it did. It's left me with so much to think on.