Reviews for The Henna Artist: A Novel, by Alka Joshi

erin_elizabeth's review

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

brandyb5050's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

I enjoyed this book. It is a sad commentary on how women are treated in Indian society. Even though Lakshmi suffered from abuse at the hands of her husband, she had to hide the fact she was married because it was more shameful to be a woman separated/divorced/without child than an abusive man. It was an interesting journey we get to go on with her. What happens when she is on her own and what happens when she lets people in and what society does in return. Highly recommend.

kinshasa's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

The story was good, if not a bit boring in terms of plot and conflict. Conflicts were solved and resolved a little too easily, and I would have liked for Lakshmi to find herself in a stable romantic relationship and not only the quick fling with Samir. The constant use of Hindi words did bring me out of the story quite frequently because I had to keep looking them up, and I couldn’t find some of them in the dictionary at the back of the book. The was the most annoying part for me.

belindaolympia's review

emotional sad slow-paced

4kids4me's review

The narration of this audiobook was fantastic. I really enjoyed the plot, though a bit predictable, as it provided an interesting look at the caste system in 1950s India.

haleyapratt's review