iiinge's review against another edition

oke blijkbaar is niet alles in dit boek waar en is de schrijfster nogal problematic maar de gruwelijkheid van child sex trafficking blijft relevant en i dont regret reading this

lil_missbookworm's review against another edition

It was good, but after a certain point it seemed to get repetitive.

kendyle's review against another edition

Somaly Mams autobiography about her life of forced prostitution and her escape to become an activist in the world of child trafficking was an interesting read despite the fact that much of what she has written about her life has been debunked by Simon Marks in an article he wrote for Newsweek in May of 2014. That does not make the horrors of child trafficking and prostitution in Cambodia any less tragic.

evelina96's review against another edition

Lite tudelad till denna. Intressant och ett ämne som förtjänar större utrymme. Får se en verklighet ute på fältet med mycket korruption och många utnyttjade människor.

rain_97's review against another edition

This book opened my eyes to the horrors of sex slavery not only in Cambodia but all over the world. Even though there is controversy surrounding the nature of truth telling about Somaly's life as a sex slave, it bears no difference to me because the fact is, the issue of sex trafficking is a real problem. After reading this book, it's hard to turn a blind eye to the problems of little girls who are kidnapped or sold into sex slavery by their own parents...this book makes you want to contribute to the greater cause to alleviate prostitution, to be involved in educating the public about basic morality, that certain things like rape is not only wrong but should be thought of as unfathomable...

bibliophile_esq's review against another edition

SO TORN! I absolutely loved this book and it was truly life changing. And then I found out most of the book was... more than a little fast and loose with the facts. In a way, I guess that makes me happy. Maybe Somaly's story IS beyond reality, and of course I'm glad that maybe some of these things didn't happen. But it's certainly upsetting to learn that such a touching book was a fraud all along.

readingwithmarlow's review against another edition

This book made me cry so many times...and made me want to do doctors without borders. Read this.

naomistrange's review against another edition

I started this book one morning and stayed up until 3am just to finish it. To say it is shocking is an understatement. I think we all know that sexual slavery goes on, but it's not something we talk about or hear on the news at all.

I loved how Mam told the details of her experience in straightforward, easy to read language, not leaving out any of the harrowing details.

Definitely read the book, everyone should definitely read the book! I plan to donate to the cause regularly and I also want to visit her rescue homes when I'm able to meet my goal of spending at least 3 months traveling Asia. :)

sheeborg's review against another edition

middlekmissie's review against another edition

Sad and troubling and hopeful, Somaly Mam tells the story of her own hard early life and what she has done to save the many girls who are in similar situations to her own.