Reviews for The Silvered Serpents, by Roshani Chokshi

amanda214's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

booksandlemonsquash's review against another edition

For some reason I thought this was a duology not a trilogy! Oops. That meant the ending seemed most abrupt to me! That aside though, I continue to love this world and the elements of mystery solving in this one were lovely.

It was fab to be back with the cast from the gilded wolves. I still love all of them, but especially Zofia and Enrique. It was lovely to learn more about them all, and see more about their connections to each other (and others).

I did feel that Severin was much harder to connect with in this one - in fact I think that his obsession and grief over Tristan should have made him easier to understand but I actually ended up wanting distance from his perspective. He’s so singularly driven to godhood and honestly that’s not good!

In general though, seeing the consequences of tristan’s death affect the group was just so well done. It’s rare we get to see grief looked at through a series like this, partially because the action often keeps going. Here, there has been a break between the books and the characters have had the time to digest and break apart a little.

Seeing more of the forged world was fascinating, especially blood forgery. I can’t help (as always) but wish this magic was real.

I did feel that I saw a few of the twists coming, though given the ending I’m super looking forward to seeing how it plays out! I think I’m going to enjoy “forcing” myself to reread both this and gild wolves when the third book comes out ;). 4 stars.

witchwithabook's review against another edition

Damn you and your cliff hangers.
I utterly enjoyed this book and love the mix of magic/science and good old crime.

The uniqueness of this team makes me smile as it reminds me of leverage the TV show with one of the character just been so out of place with her comments it makes you laugh.

Can't wait for book 3

writersreverie's review

adventurous medium-paced

stormereads's review against another edition

My boyfriend doesn’t even read, and he read this book in two days. THat is how good this is. We read the first one together, and then I got this one because I could not wait. So we read it together and thought it was the best. Because it is. Strong descriptions and fab characters. This was just such a good book, and I will read anything Chokshi writes...even a menu or like a list. I love this book so much, and I need. The third one ASAP.

Thank you NetGalley and St Martins Press/Wednesday Books for the ARC. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

mariamsparvaiz's review

adventurous hopeful mysterious medium-paced

This is the second book in "The Gilded Wolves" trilogy and in my opinion I thought that the first book was better. I still enjoyed it but it took me a lot longer to get through this book than the first one. The ending is so crazy and unpredictable so I'm highly anticipating the third and final book!

sovereigns's review against another edition

I loved the representation in this book! The dialogue, the characters, everything! I related very much to Enrique and Zofia. The twists in this book, although I expected some, still had me shocked and wanting for more. With that ending? Of course I would want more. I can't wait to be with these characters again.

sassyowlreads's review against another edition

Thanks so much to Netgalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for an honest review!

The Silvered Serpents picks up where The Gilded Wolves left off and primarily takes place in Russia. Severin's grief made it feel darker and less light-hearted than The Gilded Wolves which I was glad for since The Gilded Wolves seemed to be lacking some gravitas for the situation. I also found myself becoming more and more interested in Hypnos and Sofia and less interested in Severin as he continually distanced himself from his friends.

Overall, I enjoyed this 2nd one even more than the 1st one and more than a little miffed at having to wait so long for the 3rd book.

bibliobrittish's review against another edition

It's entirely possible that I built this book up in my head, only for it to fall flat of expectations but The Gilded Wolves had a special place in my heart. The narrators, characters, and plot were all exactly what I needed, and in Gilded Age Paris no less! The Silvered Serpents, unfortunately, did not live up to the hype I assigned it.

I still adored the characters and their continual development and exploration. Zofia in particular was given a chance to shine, and her (I'm assuming) asexuality to be discussed which I really appreciated. Hypnos is a continual favorite for me, and the new characters were quite fun as well. I was still engrossed in the narration. But the plot simply didn't ever draw me in. The pacing was like spring skiing (quick then sticky) and the stakes, even when lethal, never felt particularly urgent.

This all being said, the ending was a shock, the stage is set, and I'm still really looking forward to the conclusion of this epic heist *ahem, acquisition* trilogy.