The Keeper of Night, by Kylie Lee Baker

emmyriggs's review

adventurous dark emotional informative mysterious tense medium-paced

alyvia_rw's review

Not bad! It still felt very much like a ya novel (which, knowing myself, isn’t always a good thing) but I found that the main character’s arc and the strong sense of atmosphere gave the otherwise typical storyline some unique twists. I especially liked the last chapter or so. Girlboss!

deevie's review

adventurous medium-paced

sashreads's review against another edition

Ren is the kind of badass I love to read about. I can't wait to see her grow in the next book.

sashreads's review

Still a bop

goetzemango's review

4.5 very drawn into this one. Different and exciting story, morally grey main character FOR SURE. The ending was a lot very quickly. Excited for the next one

dame_samara's review against another edition

This book is 12.5 hours long, but you would know that once you dive in, it full throttle going forward, with a couple spots that let you catch your breath for only a moment.
This is then turned past 10 in the last quarter of the book, so much so I found myself re-listening to chapters and segments over and over again to make sure I really understood what happened.

I loved Ren as a character, she felt a lot darker then the typical protagonist. Paired with her relationship with her brother, Neven. Their deep love for one another is beautiful, but also how he works as her own Jiminy Cricket.

While I can't comment heavily on the end of the book without revealing all to much. But it is like Baker took everything that could have been stretched out into a second book and folded it into such a tiny package that it really does jump out at you when you're not expecting it.

shelvedamongthestars's review

Holy crap, I’ll definitely be preordering this one

shelvedamongthestars's review against another edition

I finished this book and promptly sat down to pre-order a signed copy from Porter Square books! I was thrilled to find this story, and despite problems with the audio quality on the netgalley app :( I adored the narration as well. There is great representation here that rings true; the main character is mixed-race and spends the book reconnecting with her Japanese "side" after facing exile from England, where she grew up with a beloved brother and trained as a Reaper (in Japan, she's a Shinigami - they have different abilities and traditions.) The magic system was SO much fun (Reapers in England get to stop time using special magical clocks!) and I love how Baker incorporated Japanese folklore related to death and the underworld. As someone who was obsessed with Greek mythology as a kid, I wish I had had books like this while growing up in the US!

alikoenig123's review

… WHAT
I do not know how to process this book
Wow