The Breakthrough, by Daphne du Maurier

alex_21086's review

emotional lighthearted reflective fast-paced

jesikasbookshelf's review

Though I'm not honestly sure what I was expecting from this short novel, the subject matter was so very different from the other Du Maurier work I've read that I was a little surprised. This is a short work wherein Du Maurier manages to explore the nature of science, faith, how the two work apart and separately and together and also manages to explore the love dial nature of 'intelligence' - our personalities and our souls.

The scenes with Niki towards the end made for harrowing reading and I can only hope that our final image of her dancing with the dog means that Mac's experiments ultimately helped her.

Robbie, the doctor and Ken/Niki's only champion was the heart of this piece, with everyone else coming in at varied points of 'I've gone so far into the pursuit of academia that now I don't know how to relate to humans any more'.

As always, and atmospheric, gripping and unique creation from the mind of one of the greats.

awkwardreader13's review

I don't have much to say about this. The premise was interesting, and it's not a bad story at all, but it WAS very short and I wasn't super engaged. The writing was also nothing special

chantellereads's review

My first Daphne Du Maurier's work! I've to say that there's something special about her writing style - how she's able to piece words together to create this vivid imagery of the characters and setting! It was an atmospheric read! However, some scenes/elements of it left me a little confused, considering it a sci-fi. And I think the ending could be done better.
Nonetheless, it was a great experience and I love the theme - moral ethnics explored in here!

book0logy's review

I would probably say this is more of a 3.5, very nearly a 4. There was a feeling of being rushed towards the conclusion of the story, and the motives of certain characters moved too quickly at points to fully understand. I did, however, enjoy the story and the central characters were well fleshed out and interesting whilst still being firmly tied to the narrative in a way required for short stories.

ubi_goode's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

max_mountstephens's review

when does science go too far?; conflict between morals and science; (

janedallaway's review

I don’t generally like short stories, even long short stories (this one comes in at 58 pages) but most short stories aren’t written by Daphne Du Maurier. Her ability to describe things in enough detail to put me in the story shows her craftsmanship. And the characters are described well enough to give me feelings about them. And, for this story, the core experiment left me wondering how I felt about what they were doing, and whether they should be doing it.

losethegirl's review

mysterious medium-paced

Not gonna lie, I finished reading this and then immediately forgot everything that happened in it. Not the vibe </3

susannes_pagesofcrime's review

I thoroughly enjoyed this tale. It's compelling, intriguing and creepy - everything you could want from Daphne du Maurier.