Reviews for A Princess in Theory, by Alyssa Cole

aydotjaydot's review against another edition

3.75. I have figured out that I am bad at the first book in a series. This was good amd I had a good time with it, but man. That middle section where you could see what was gonna happen and it was just kind of excrutiating build to the thing? Yeah, I totally dragged my feet there.

And I am going to admit that the ending was a bit... abrupt. Tbf, it is book one in a series, so that makes sense, but I really feel like more could have been done w the wrap up and fallout of stuff. There were some narrative choices that felt like a time limit had been reached, especially considering the build of the first half.

Still thos was great fluff and I wanted to alternately wrap Ledi in a blanket, cheer her from the side while she kicked ass, and buy her a drink at turns.

tsbowman1124's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful fast-paced

themixedgirlreader's review

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

"That was the thing with people getting past your defenses. They were bound to fuck up, maybe a little, maybe a lot. It was what they did afterward that counted."

I read this book for my book club's romance month pick. I can honestly say I would never have picked up this book had it not been for our book club. I'm not a big romance reader, although I do enjoy the stories romance often tells. They are usually a little bit on the fluffier side, which is a nice break from some of the heavier reading I do from time to time. The steam in romance book often makes me feel uncomfortable, which is why this genre is one that is generally neglected from my reading go-tos.

[b:A Princess in Theory|35271238|A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1)|Alyssa Cole|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1501702014l/35271238._SY75_.jpg|56629976] follows Naledi, a grad student working to become an epidemiologist. (In today's Covid-19 world, I just want to hug her). Naledi keeps getting these scam emails from a prince in Africa. Of course she deletes these! As it turns out, the emails are not a scam and Naledi finds herself swept up in a whirlwind romance with Jamal (who's secretly the prince) and a mysterious virus in Prince Thabiso's home country of Thesolo.

This book gave me some MAJOR The Prince and Me vibes (anyone remember that movie?) all the way through, except this book followed Black characters and featured an African country instead of a European country. I enjoyed the story as it was a great way for me to unplug and step into a fictional world that seemed a little more rational than the world we're currently living in. I didn't love it enough to immediately check out the rest of the series, but if I'm ever needing a good solid romance I know I can count on [a:Alyssa Cole|7790155|Alyssa Cole|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1556901538p2/7790155.jpg] to deliver.

linzercookie's review against another edition

Hell yes. Can't stop to talk, looking for book 2.

melonpaper's review

emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

vortacist's review

lighthearted slow-paced

sofialister's review against another edition

this was so enjoyable!! ledi is an amazingly tangible character - an epidemic researcher no less! - and thabiso was achingly charming.
also, this is the best pacing i have read in a romance for ages: nothing felt rushed at all, instead let to develop in a natural feeling way, and the plot only got more interesting after the truth about thabiso's identity was revealed, and it didn't go on for so long that it got uncomfty. i can't wait to read more of AC's work!

4/5 stars

mybookishdelights's review

Heat Level: High

This was a fun book. I really liked the characters. A lot. I loved how even the friendship had page time and it wasn't perfect. You don't see that often in contemporary romances. The friends just kind of disappear.

The setting in this one was great. I really liked the descriptions about Thesolo. The plot was good, but a bit predictable and I'm not referring to the romance plot. There is a subplot of sickness spreading in Thesolo and the main character, Ledi, is working to find out what was wrong.

Overall a fun time and I flew through it. I will definitely be continuing the series.

CAWPILE Score: 7.86 = 4 stars
Characters: 9
Atmosphere: 8
Writing: 8
Plot: 7
Intrigue: 7
Logic: 8
Enjoyment: 8

alesmusings's review against another edition

I didn't love it, I just liked it I guess? I read the bit from the next one and I know I will be reading it.