doubleokay's review

mcbenzie's review

Not my favourite Robo volume - I find young Robo less engaging than his grown up self - but still, lots of fun. Seeing Tesla in more than a flashback was grand, too! It was a shame that new adventurer Jack Tarot had to spend most of his on-panel time being annoyed by Robo, but he and his daughter were fun too. I'm not sure about the romance sub-plot, though; if Robo were a human character underplaying it like this would be great, but I felt like it deserved more attention - especially since the story spans a year or so, giving lots of room to explore. Instead, it just vanishes once the main story is over, unresolved and unexplained.

To be honest, I liked but didn't love this storyline, and probably would have given three stars - except that Dr. Dinosaur showed up in the bonus Free Comic Book Day story, and livened things up no end. Still my favourite character of all time, and the FCBD story is a great one-shot with a lovely coda. More of all the characters in this story, please!

olde_fortran's review

This may have been my least favorite volume. That's a bit surprising, as it does more to advance the overarching plotlines than any other volume. But it just didn't have much I enjoyed, the pulpy feel fell flat to me. Still, a bad volume of Atomic Robo is better than about 90% of the comics out there, well worth reading.

rmgebhardt's review

This is actually my favorite volume of the series. Young Atomic Robo is a lot more spunky, fun, and headstrong. The Hellboy influence does shine through a little more when dealing with young Robo, but considering I enjoy that style of writing, I'll roll with it. I also enjoy the Edison/Tesla rivalry that is the foundation of the conflict here. The art, as usual, is simplistic and sparse but gets the job done.

realbooks4ever's review

You can't go wrong with Atomic Robo! In this volume he encounters Jack Tarot, Tarot's daughter who has a crush on Robo, Tesla, Edison, Dr. Dinosaur, and more!

mediumdave's review

Very good, like most Atomic Robo stuff. Nice flashback series, more Tesla and even a little Dr. Dinosaur! Action Science!