Lessons in French, by Laura Kinsale

nelsonseye's review against another edition

Many cute moments.

kimberlycarrington's review

Lo he devorado. Qué maestra es Laura Kinsale
Nuestra reseña en A la cama con... un libro

altheodorou's review

Lighthearted and tightly woven fun featuring great banter. The bull-related plot line was a bit ridiculous, but I just loved Callie and Trev's story.

svw89's review

This isn't going to be a very long review because I don't really feel that there's anything new that I haven't said in a previous review. I've either loved or really enjoyed pretty much everything that Laura Kinsale has written and nothing changes here. I must admit I prefer the tortured heroes and big adventures but there's still something lovely about her more lighthearted books. [b:Lessons in French|6734558|Lessons in French|Laura Kinsale|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405552454s/6734558.jpg|6930843] isn't the most memorable story and doesn't have the most memorable characters but it all still gave me the warm fuzzies. I do have a soft spot for the heroine, Callie, and her daydreams that she liked to indulge in.

I'm not quite sure what to do now - this was my last LK book - I've now read everything! I guess I'll have to go back and listen to my favourite parts on audio!

abbythompson's review

Callie has been jilted three times now and is resigned to a life of spinsterhood, until Trevelyan comes back into her life. Nine years ago, they were madly in love until Callie's father caught them in the act and sent Trev away burning with humiliation. There's a lot of unspoken anger and feelings here, and as a result, a whole lot of BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS. Reading this was like watching a Cerberus of Miscommunications. Every time one got solved, three more grew back in its place.

While I liked Callie's genuineness and Trev's integrity, both bordered on naivete a little too frequently. Luckily, someone would get a clue before they ventured into the land of TSTL, but it was a close call one too many times.

chels_ebooks's review

Laura Kinsale calls Midsummer Moon and Lessons in French "hedgehog humor" and that's how I'll always think of her more light-hearted Regency romances. They're just as grounded in the historical setting as her angst-driven books, but they have a sort of absurdist whimsy.

Midsummer Moon has the hedgehog, and Lessons in French has Hubert, the bull.

Callie is a 27 year old spinster who is deeply invested in animal husbandry. She calls herself boring and plain (because that's how other aristocrats see her), but Kinsale is able to convey her understated charm so clearly that I was half in love with her myself. She's had a run of rotten luck: she's been publicly jilted three times, so when her childhood sweetheart Trevelyan returns from France after being away from a decade, she's feeling very vulnerable about how he sees her.

Trevelyan isn't a rake, exactly, but he's the opposite of Callie in that he's someone that people immediately like. He's always been smitten with her: he and Callie were teenage sweethearts until Callie's father angrily scared him off, saying he's not good enough for his daughter. (Meaning, he's too French.)

For reasons that only Trevelyan knows, they can't marry each other even though Callie's father died years ago. But Trev wants to make Callie happy, so he devises a scheme to get Callie's prized bull (Hubert. Such a good boy!) returned to her keeping after he's gambled away by a careless relative. This does not go to plan, so now Callie and Trev have to go to absurd lengths to get Hubert back to his rightful owner.

Kinsale cannot write a conventional romance. (Compliment.) This is light-hearted and funny but I never had any idea where the plot was going, and the book commits to the rural setting and country affairs and Hubert the bull, instead of using them as set-dressing.

bella1109's review

This was a fantastic read! I think Ms. Kinsale has managed to elevate this book from being a typical historical romance by the inclusion of Hubert, the bull. I think it gave a nice comedic touch. This was pretty low angst (for a Laura Kinsale book). Trey was a scoundrel, but a lovable one. I think he was lovely, except that I thought that he should fight harder for Callie. Callie was a great heroine to read and she had backbone (especially towards her ex-fiancee). I definitely felt for Callie. It definitely wasn't easy being jilted 3 times and all your self-doubts rising to the surface. Trey has always had an 'unsteady character'. They were neighbours and they fell in love when they were young. Callie's father, the earl caught them in the act in the carriage house (she was not ruined yet). Any parents would would act the way Callie's father act. Later, Trey went away for 9 years before he came back to the village to visit his ailing mother. I don't want to give too much away but there's a whole backstory there. All I can say is that the reading experience was worth it.

galy's review against another edition

No pensé que me gustaría tanto este libro cuando lo empecé.
Es un libro muy real, de querer estar con alguien pero al mismo tiempo no saber si es lo que quieres para tu futuro. Luego está lo que piensa la familia y la gente. Tener que tomar la decisión, elegir entre estatus o amor.

melissad75's review

Really delightful! A solid 4 rating, I'd say. It's much lighter in tone than the other Kinsale books I've read, but many of her hallmarks are still there -- depth of characterization, lovely and insightful prose, and a story that grabs me emotionally and stays with me after I've shut the book. There's a lot of humor in the story, but also a vein of melancholy and loneliness as the hero and heroine, both of whom are quite lovable, finally find their way to each other.

I typically expect a novel by Laura Kinsale to rip my heart out and stomp on it with its dramatic plot and tortured hero and heroine, and to tell the truth I love being put through the wringer like that! But there's also something to be said for having a book where there are some genuine laughs, and where the characters have problems, but not ones that leave the reader prostrated in a teary heap on the floor. Sometimes you want something light and fun, and Lessons in French is that, but it's light and fun with substance, which for me is a perfect combination.

Once again I read along with the audiobook narrated by Nicholas Boulton. He does such a brilliant job with these books, bringing all the characters to life and adding such emotion to my reading experience. And, on a shallow note, you haven't lived until you've heard his beautiful, sexy voice whispering sweet nothings in your ear. Especially when they're in French. ;)