Reviews for Midnight Sun, by Stephenie Meyer

bookiesncookies's review against another edition

Donate to the Quileute Tribe!

Edward is an angsty boi, and I respect him for that.

pinkfluffygoat's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

kosmicgirl's review against another edition

A pesar de haber pasado unos ocho años desde que se leí Crepúsculo, este libro me ha gustado bastante y me atrevería a decir que es más entretenido y dinámico que el libro original.
Lo que NO me ha gustado:
-Edward siendo un stalker (espiando sus conversaciones, viéndola dormir, siendo posesivo...)
-Las escenas de amor, eran demasiado pastelosas e inaguantables (y una gran porción del libro)
-Algunas partes se hacían muy largas y pesadas
-El tratamiento del personaje de Rosalie
Lo que SÍ me ha gustado:
-Los información extra que da el libro, como la otra cara de lo que pasa en Crepúsculo
-El monólogo interno de Edward
-Los flashbacks e historias del pasado de los Cullen
-LOS CULLEN
-ALICE
-Ser capaz de leer los pensamientos de todos los personajes
-El hecho de que no se hace monótono, a pesar de saber lo que pasa

En general, creo que este libro sí aporta información útil y me he sentido una adolescente escribiendo esta reseña.

behemota's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

I went into this one truly not expecting much. I’m part of the “twilight generation” and I was in junior high / high school when the books and movies were all that everybody was talking about. I read and watched the saga too, and secretly enjoyed it, despite being very much aware of how bad the writing was, and how little sense it all made. It was a guilty pleasure of sorts.

Now, 10 or 12 years later, I reached to this book looking for an easy, pleasurable escape, half-expecting to put it away after a chapter or two because of bad writing or annoying / completely predictable storyline. Instead, I’ve actually enjoyed it, and it pulled me in. So I’m giving it 4 stars for what it is - not in comparison to some great, prize-winning and life-changing works of fiction, but as a YA romance and a fun fantasy. It was not bad, truly not bad. Edward’s behavior does seem much less acceptable to me than it did when I was 13. He is an obsessive stalker, yep, but he’s also not human, and he’s severely scarred and depressive. Let’s just treat it as fiction and not excusable  behavior in actual teenagers...

I’m looking forward to reading the next parts of this story from his perspective, and I hope it won’t take the author long to finish them.

jen748's review against another edition

I know this isn’t a great example of a consensual relationship and I’m aware of at least some of the other concerns with the series, but I gobbled up all 658 pages of this!

bookwormmaria17's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

1.5

livinginmyfantasy's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

It's been 10 years since I last read a Twilight book and going back into that world was part very fun and nostalgic and part very frustrating and eye-opening.

Initially I wasn't planning on reading this book, but when a friend of mine suggested we buddy read it, I was curious enough to agree. Revisiting this story together and discussing it weekly made it a lot of fun and I was surprised at how much I was enjoying the book when we started it. Although I must admit that part of that came from being amused about the absurdity of some moments and not being able to take them seriously anymore. I guess that can happen when you take a closer look at things you used to love as a teenager, they can become a bit silly when you grow up. I enjoyed seeing Edward's side of things, getting more insight into the Cullen family dynamics and finding out what happened during the time Bella and Edward were apart at the end of the book, as everything that happened then was suddenly new and exciting.

Unfortunately there were also quite a few things I did not enjoy that I had to endure to get to those last 200 pages of excitement. For instance, Edward is not always the most pleasant narrator; his inner monologue and complaints could get too long and repetitive and I often found myself annoyed, and at times even infuriated, by them. It felt unnecessary to say the same kind of things so many times over and there's a couple 100 pages that could have been scratched to make it less tiresome. If I hadn't been reading this book with a friend I might have given up on it. Being older and reading things from Edward's perspective also made me see all the problems in Bella and Edward's relationship, which I didn't notice when I was a teenager seeing things through Bella's eyes. Some of the things I found romantic back then suddenly became quite jarring and unsettling.

This book took me through a rollercoaster of emotions and my feelings about it are mixed. But in the end, I'm deciding to hold on to the fun, nostalgic feelings a bit more and am letting the positives outweigh the negatives.

lya's review

amabae's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad medium-paced