Reviews tagging Gore

Midnight Sun, by Stephenie Meyer

unloveliest's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

cdt96's review against another edition

challenging dark funny slow-paced

Though a great addition to the saga, Edwards constant self loathing becomes tedious. Overall though a good read, took some time to gain progress as it's slow to start. Having not read the books since 2010, the return to the twilight universe was nostalgic and warm.

determinationss's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

devastatingly heartbreaking, this retells the beloved twilight from bella’s morbid lovers pov.

despite my distaste for the author, and the lack of diversity throughout the entire series, i would love more books from edwards pov.

however, i did not enjoy attempting to figure out what was new and what was originally in twilight. in addition, i find edward unbearably irritating. i found myself attempting not to bang my head against the wall every time he mentioned how bella’s soul was condemned to hell. and let’s not gloss over the pomegranate metaphor. i enjoyed the first few times it was brought up but someone teach miss steph that she doesn’t have to mention it 1,000 times for me to understand it.

overall a 3.5, parts were confusing, it took me forever to finish and in the end i still would love to punch edward in the face.

h_cornwell's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

Really well written, so cleverly done. She adds so much to the original story without it feeling repetitive at all.

mariamorrone's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

er1nmoore's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

e_eisel's review against another edition

mysterious tense slow-paced

Edward is so annoyingly verbose

luluslittlelibrary's review against another edition

dark emotional funny lighthearted reflective tense slow-paced

This is one of the worst books I have ever read... I cannot express how much I love it. It is like 99% of Edward's inner monologue, it goes on so long, none of it makes any sense, and it just adds to how awful Edwards and Bellas relationship was. Here are a few of my favorite parts I would like to mention:

Spoiler
Maybe I was wrong. But if I was right... how exasperating! How endearing! Her life had never been in deeeper peril, but she still cared that I, the very menace threatening her life, liked her appearance.
Can we just look at that writing? Was it written by a twelve-year-old with a thesaurus? Additionally, it must be noted that the thing that triggered Edward to think this was Bella blow-drying her hair the night before the meadow.

I watched her as she lifted her face to the light rain, with her eyes closed, a slight smile on her lips, what was she thinking? Something about this action seemed off. And I quickly realized why this posture seemed unfamilar to me - normal human girls wouldn't raise their faces to the drizzle that way, normal human girls usually use makup, even here in this wet place. Bella never wore makeup, nor should she. The cosmetics indestry made billions of dollars a year from women tring to attain skin like hers.
I'll just let you sit with that. (also I know the punctuation is a mess, I didn't copy it directly from the book)

Also, Edward justifies stalking Bella and watching her sleep by bringing up all of the other crimes his family has committed.

Lastly, the car scene when they are driving to save Bella in Arizona:
When they get to phoenix, the Cullens steal cars to get to Bella. The first car is a Subaru WRX STI (it's like a really fast race car). And despite Edward being able to see in his mind that Bella is about to die, he is still freaking out about this car, he's going 195 mph and is totally geeking out over it. But then the police set up a roadblock on the highway because of Edward's speeding, so they half to steal another car. So they steal this Porsche, by making this woman get out of her car, have Carlisle sedate her with a needle he just happened to have on hand and lay her on the side of the highway. Then they have Emmett pick up the Subaru and throw it across the highway to cause a huge pileup so that they can get to bella....... like what?!
Spoiler

nxclx's review against another edition

slow-paced

Honestly, I feel bad giving this book 1 star, but honestly, that's what it got. This is a whole mess, and I wouldn't have finished it if it hadn't been for it being a retelling of twilight. Just... sad. And I would have rather read about Alice's story.

betweentheshelves's review against another edition

dark emotional tense slow-paced

Finally jumped on the train and read (listened) to this, and I was mostly entertained! Edward is still as dramatic as ever, but I honestly preferred his voice to Bella's. Plus, I liked getting to know some of Edward's family a bit more, including more of Edward's background. If more books were published from his point of view, I'd likely read them!