Reviews tagging Medical content

Midnight Sun, by Stephenie Meyer

unloveliest's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

ashleyvharris's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

God. This book ruined me. I knew that reading from Edward’s perspective was going to be mentally taxing, but this was almost painful at times. His constant inner turmoil over his romantic feelings and bloodlust for Bella was like a tidal wave that refuses to let you come up for air; every time he had a gentle, pure thought, it was marred by his agony.

Although his narration lines up closely with what I’d imagined of Edward during the original saga, it confirms that his mind is an unbearable place to be.
For all the depression, angst, and agony, there were some truly sweet moments that were worth reading from his perspective. His description of the joy he felt after confessing everything to Bella was so sweet and endearing. Not to mention his humor surrounding Bella and her “suitors”.

And look, I know he can’t read her mind like everyone else, but he is so dumb for a vampire.  He was confused by every thought Bella ever had. How has this man been alive over a century and he doesn’t understand the physical cues of human attraction?

My absolute favorite thing about this book was the new scenes of the Cullen family and their perspective on events from Twilight. The way that Emmett was so immediately protective of Bella despite Rosalie’s anger toward her? Heartwarming. The way Jasper wanted to be around Edward and Bella because of how strong and enjoyable their emotions were? Adorable.

If you’re wondering what scene ruined me most thoroughly? Edward’s internal explanation for taking her to prom. Destroyed me. Highly recommend if you’re a masochist :)

chloevienna's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

i know this is a star above average but i am an absolute whore for twilight and always have been

cdt96's review against another edition

challenging dark funny slow-paced

Though a great addition to the saga, Edwards constant self loathing becomes tedious. Overall though a good read, took some time to gain progress as it's slow to start. Having not read the books since 2010, the return to the twilight universe was nostalgic and warm.

midnightbelles's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I absolutely loved the twilight books when I read them years ago so I thought I’d give this one a try. I really struggled to get through this despite my love for twilight, but that could just be because I don’t particularly like reading in first person (I also couldn’t  connect with Edward). It generally was a recount of twilight but in his perspective so no complaints there since I enjoyed twilight and it was nice to get some insight into his thoughts and compare them to Bella’s. However some moments I thought were stalkerish/creepy or I just didn’t care about what he was thinking (I wanted to know about everyone else) 😅. I also felt that the story dragged in some instances.  Overall it was a decent read although I probably wouldn’t read it again.

mariamorrone's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

er1nmoore's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

luluslittlelibrary's review against another edition

dark emotional funny lighthearted reflective tense slow-paced

This is one of the worst books I have ever read... I cannot express how much I love it. It is like 99% of Edward's inner monologue, it goes on so long, none of it makes any sense, and it just adds to how awful Edwards and Bellas relationship was. Here are a few of my favorite parts I would like to mention:

Spoiler
Maybe I was wrong. But if I was right... how exasperating! How endearing! Her life had never been in deeeper peril, but she still cared that I, the very menace threatening her life, liked her appearance.
Can we just look at that writing? Was it written by a twelve-year-old with a thesaurus? Additionally, it must be noted that the thing that triggered Edward to think this was Bella blow-drying her hair the night before the meadow.

I watched her as she lifted her face to the light rain, with her eyes closed, a slight smile on her lips, what was she thinking? Something about this action seemed off. And I quickly realized why this posture seemed unfamilar to me - normal human girls wouldn't raise their faces to the drizzle that way, normal human girls usually use makup, even here in this wet place. Bella never wore makeup, nor should she. The cosmetics indestry made billions of dollars a year from women tring to attain skin like hers.
I'll just let you sit with that. (also I know the punctuation is a mess, I didn't copy it directly from the book)

Also, Edward justifies stalking Bella and watching her sleep by bringing up all of the other crimes his family has committed.

Lastly, the car scene when they are driving to save Bella in Arizona:
When they get to phoenix, the Cullens steal cars to get to Bella. The first car is a Subaru WRX STI (it's like a really fast race car). And despite Edward being able to see in his mind that Bella is about to die, he is still freaking out about this car, he's going 195 mph and is totally geeking out over it. But then the police set up a roadblock on the highway because of Edward's speeding, so they half to steal another car. So they steal this Porsche, by making this woman get out of her car, have Carlisle sedate her with a needle he just happened to have on hand and lay her on the side of the highway. Then they have Emmett pick up the Subaru and throw it across the highway to cause a huge pileup so that they can get to bella....... like what?!
Spoiler

nxclx's review against another edition

slow-paced

Honestly, I feel bad giving this book 1 star, but honestly, that's what it got. This is a whole mess, and I wouldn't have finished it if it hadn't been for it being a retelling of twilight. Just... sad. And I would have rather read about Alice's story.

betweentheshelves's review against another edition

dark emotional tense slow-paced

Finally jumped on the train and read (listened) to this, and I was mostly entertained! Edward is still as dramatic as ever, but I honestly preferred his voice to Bella's. Plus, I liked getting to know some of Edward's family a bit more, including more of Edward's background. If more books were published from his point of view, I'd likely read them!