Reviews tagging Stalking

Midnight Sun, by Stephenie Meyer

unloveliest's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

ashleyvharris's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

God. This book ruined me. I knew that reading from Edward’s perspective was going to be mentally taxing, but this was almost painful at times. His constant inner turmoil over his romantic feelings and bloodlust for Bella was like a tidal wave that refuses to let you come up for air; every time he had a gentle, pure thought, it was marred by his agony.

Although his narration lines up closely with what I’d imagined of Edward during the original saga, it confirms that his mind is an unbearable place to be.
For all the depression, angst, and agony, there were some truly sweet moments that were worth reading from his perspective. His description of the joy he felt after confessing everything to Bella was so sweet and endearing. Not to mention his humor surrounding Bella and her “suitors”.

And look, I know he can’t read her mind like everyone else, but he is so dumb for a vampire.  He was confused by every thought Bella ever had. How has this man been alive over a century and he doesn’t understand the physical cues of human attraction?

My absolute favorite thing about this book was the new scenes of the Cullen family and their perspective on events from Twilight. The way that Emmett was so immediately protective of Bella despite Rosalie’s anger toward her? Heartwarming. The way Jasper wanted to be around Edward and Bella because of how strong and enjoyable their emotions were? Adorable.

If you’re wondering what scene ruined me most thoroughly? Edward’s internal explanation for taking her to prom. Destroyed me. Highly recommend if you’re a masochist :)

ailish's review against another edition

dark slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

I was a huge Twihard as a teenager, this is definitely a must read for the fans. The reason I gave it 3 stars was because upon reading this I realised how possessive Edward was! I feel like the book was a bit long too, I was really looking forward to reading it to re-live my Twilight phase but it dragged on a bit personally :/

ravenclawboi33's review against another edition

slow-paced

I read it *ironically* (I’m so cool mum) and enjoyed it that way but wouldn’t say it’s a good book

vipsahtanut's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

louisar's review against another edition

challenging funny lighthearted tense slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

Oof, this book. It was definitely a challenging read, but not because it was literary in any sense. I love twilight, but even this was too much for me. I would only recommend this book to die hard, unironic fans of twilight. If you are anything less, spare your eyes from this atrocity of male angst.
I was very intrigued throughout this book with the “monster” inhabiting Edward’s head. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be a metaphor or figurative or if Edward has multiple personalities, which would honestly make sense. I like that this book is basically just a constant stream of consciousness, Edward’s consciousness. It’s funny to be reading all his “I hate myself” “the monster in my head rejoiced”  that takes up multiple pages, and compare it with the movie where it’s just a shot of rob Pattinson looking constipated. Basically Edward goes through life (or death, I guess) with an inner dialogue that sounds like someone reading the Bible in KJV (you know his favorite verse would be Psalm 38). Pretty relatable, tbh.
One thing that I actually liked was that it’s basically confirmed at this point that Bella is neurodivergent—the way both Charlie and Renee are described indicates that they are as well so it makes what we know about Bella make a lot more sense.
The rest of my notes are incoherent:
Love the fact that Edward is an incel. I feel like I could take out large chunks of this book and replace it with passages from You and it would be exactly the same.
But also I’m getting the guy from the infamous “three weed smoking girlfriends” vibes as well, and what the heck, it also sounds like it could have come out of my middle school (current) diaries as well. Stephenie’s really doing everything in her power to try to convince you that there was no way Edward could have stayed away from her and that he’s a good person and didn’t have a choice lol. Also the part where Bella’s asking him questions and he’s like “hypothetically, if someone, let’s call him JOE” like HE’S LITERALLY JOE FROM YOU.
The further you get into this book the less Edward is the gentlemanly, “Tom Hiddleston” sort of dude s meyer wants me to think he is (did we ever see him that way, tbh?) and more of an awkward Mormon nice guy in a bowler hat who insists on opening doors for you because of “chivalry”.

Here is a list of some of my favorite quotes:
“All these other HUMAN MALES”
“I stared at my own white hand, so GROTESQUELY inhuman”
“The sun was rising in the middle of my midnight” basically my middle poetry/diary
Nice to know that at least Edward isn’t mentally over a hundred years old, so I guess it’s ok…?
“The sound of my growl shook the frame of my car but did not distract me”
“How many ways I wanted Bella. And which one would end up killing her?”

And now, I give you the WORST line in the entire book:
“I may not be a human, but I am a MAN”

And my favorite line:
Edward is basically like, “Wow, this teen girl and I are alike because we both like somebody” and then the next second he’s like (direct quote), “She was human, and he was human, and the difference that seemed so insurmountable in her head was truly ridiculous compared to my own situation. There was no reason for her broken heart. What a wasteful sorrow,” like damn, Edward. Welcome to his twisted mind, I guess. Peak teenage edgelord shit.

katiiekhaos's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional slow-paced

chloevienna's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

i know this is a star above average but i am an absolute whore for twilight and always have been

cdt96's review against another edition

challenging dark funny slow-paced

Though a great addition to the saga, Edwards constant self loathing becomes tedious. Overall though a good read, took some time to gain progress as it's slow to start. Having not read the books since 2010, the return to the twilight universe was nostalgic and warm.

tantheman's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad slow-paced