Reviews tagging Gaslighting

Midnight Sun, by Stephenie Meyer

unloveliest's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

louisar's review against another edition

challenging funny lighthearted tense slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

Oof, this book. It was definitely a challenging read, but not because it was literary in any sense. I love twilight, but even this was too much for me. I would only recommend this book to die hard, unironic fans of twilight. If you are anything less, spare your eyes from this atrocity of male angst.
I was very intrigued throughout this book with the “monster” inhabiting Edward’s head. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be a metaphor or figurative or if Edward has multiple personalities, which would honestly make sense. I like that this book is basically just a constant stream of consciousness, Edward’s consciousness. It’s funny to be reading all his “I hate myself” “the monster in my head rejoiced”  that takes up multiple pages, and compare it with the movie where it’s just a shot of rob Pattinson looking constipated. Basically Edward goes through life (or death, I guess) with an inner dialogue that sounds like someone reading the Bible in KJV (you know his favorite verse would be Psalm 38). Pretty relatable, tbh.
One thing that I actually liked was that it’s basically confirmed at this point that Bella is neurodivergent—the way both Charlie and Renee are described indicates that they are as well so it makes what we know about Bella make a lot more sense.
The rest of my notes are incoherent:
Love the fact that Edward is an incel. I feel like I could take out large chunks of this book and replace it with passages from You and it would be exactly the same.
But also I’m getting the guy from the infamous “three weed smoking girlfriends” vibes as well, and what the heck, it also sounds like it could have come out of my middle school (current) diaries as well. Stephenie’s really doing everything in her power to try to convince you that there was no way Edward could have stayed away from her and that he’s a good person and didn’t have a choice lol. Also the part where Bella’s asking him questions and he’s like “hypothetically, if someone, let’s call him JOE” like HE’S LITERALLY JOE FROM YOU.
The further you get into this book the less Edward is the gentlemanly, “Tom Hiddleston” sort of dude s meyer wants me to think he is (did we ever see him that way, tbh?) and more of an awkward Mormon nice guy in a bowler hat who insists on opening doors for you because of “chivalry”.

Here is a list of some of my favorite quotes:
“All these other HUMAN MALES”
“I stared at my own white hand, so GROTESQUELY inhuman”
“The sun was rising in the middle of my midnight” basically my middle poetry/diary
Nice to know that at least Edward isn’t mentally over a hundred years old, so I guess it’s ok…?
“The sound of my growl shook the frame of my car but did not distract me”
“How many ways I wanted Bella. And which one would end up killing her?”

And now, I give you the WORST line in the entire book:
“I may not be a human, but I am a MAN”

And my favorite line:
Edward is basically like, “Wow, this teen girl and I are alike because we both like somebody” and then the next second he’s like (direct quote), “She was human, and he was human, and the difference that seemed so insurmountable in her head was truly ridiculous compared to my own situation. There was no reason for her broken heart. What a wasteful sorrow,” like damn, Edward. Welcome to his twisted mind, I guess. Peak teenage edgelord shit.

edytabuksa's review against another edition

dark relaxing tense medium-paced

elizlizabeth's review against another edition

challenging slow-paced

This should've gotten less that 1 star, but Emmett's sporadical apparitions saved it somehow.

chloevienna's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

i know this is a star above average but i am an absolute whore for twilight and always have been

cdt96's review against another edition

challenging dark funny slow-paced

Though a great addition to the saga, Edwards constant self loathing becomes tedious. Overall though a good read, took some time to gain progress as it's slow to start. Having not read the books since 2010, the return to the twilight universe was nostalgic and warm.

nick13's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny slow-paced

The worst Boo I've ever read was Twilight New Moon. That was until this novel.
I don't think I've been so frustrated and I bored at the same time while reading a book as I was while reading Midnight Sun. There is just list upon list of pointless descriptions and the there are parts where it brushes past things I'd actually like to know, every thought Edward (and everyone else for that matter) is written which I wouldn't mind except for the fact that it is all the same damn thing over and over again, the dialogue is clumsy at best, Edward is still a terrible boyfriend who never gets better, and so much more i can't even begin to describe.
This book was an absolute chore, so much so that it made me stop reading for several days at times because it just made me sad. It is so slow at times I literally began to fall asleep and it is so bloated full of needless description that it feels like a textbook. Jesus christ, this is the textbook of Twilight.
With this final review of the Twilight series, I can now tell you to never read any of these books. Watch the movies if you was to watch some funnily bad movies but other than that, avoid this series like the plague, especially this book.
I'm serious, don't read this book no matter what, it will ruin you.

feuchtitive's review against another edition

challenging slow-paced

This book is awful. I hated every second of this read. This book added nothing to the twilight story to make it any better or interesting.

determinationss's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

devastatingly heartbreaking, this retells the beloved twilight from bella’s morbid lovers pov.

despite my distaste for the author, and the lack of diversity throughout the entire series, i would love more books from edwards pov.

however, i did not enjoy attempting to figure out what was new and what was originally in twilight. in addition, i find edward unbearably irritating. i found myself attempting not to bang my head against the wall every time he mentioned how bella’s soul was condemned to hell. and let’s not gloss over the pomegranate metaphor. i enjoyed the first few times it was brought up but someone teach miss steph that she doesn’t have to mention it 1,000 times for me to understand it.

overall a 3.5, parts were confusing, it took me forever to finish and in the end i still would love to punch edward in the face.

hedsek's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

Honestly, this wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Edward does keep calling Bella fragile and helpless, which is questionable, and there is a lot of repetition in how much he hates himself etc. On the other hand, it's a very nostalgic read if you've read Twilight back in the day and I had a good laugh about how dramatic everything is. Not a great book, but I would recommend it if you like reading things for the cringe.