Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness, by Susannah Cahalan

ckjesq's review

i surewish there was a 3.5 rating -

tiffyboomboom's review

Interesting book about a world very rarely glimpsed

melaniebledsoe's review against another edition

I read this in a day. I could NOT put it down. Fascinating medical memoir & extremely well-written. I hope Susannah lives a long, healthy life after her experience. She certainly deserves it.

hantyus's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

elsiebrady's review

Interesting and well researched regarding her actual experience. It begs the question of how many other mental illnesses have curable treatments, but we just don't know enough. Thanks to the Syrian doctor who did know enough for Susannah. Thanks Abby for the recommendation.

randis724's review against another edition

This book was a fascinating read and all the more so because Ms. Cahalan recovered from her illness and was able to write it. It reveals how fragile we really are as humans and how life can change in a minute. It also exposes how the medical community for all its wisdom is still operating in the dark about so much when it comes to our bodies and brains. Definitely highly recommend this page turner.

firyar's review

dark informative reflective medium-paced

meagan_reads_books's review

Read this book a while back and also watched the Netflix movie, this book is a true story and had me hooked instantly, amazing story, amazing writing, I will be re- reading this book again very soon! I highly recommend it, addicting, page turning have to know what happens next kind of read!

alisezindiga's review

challenging dark emotional informative reflective medium-paced

It was informative and frightening to read about the development of author’s illness. A lot of interesting details about the insides of medical industry and history of misdiagnosis.

However, after reaching a point in the book where her illness is diagnosed, I lost interest. This book is full of medical descriptions that seem to be copied from textbooks. I was also expecting to read more about the family and friends dynamics, but a lot stayed hidden. My guess is that it’s difficult for the author to talk about, which is understandable.

Overall, the knowledge I gained from this book could have been summarized in 50 pages or so. If I wanted to pick up more on the medical side, I would read scientific literature, not autobiography. Also, it wasn’t easy to connect with the author on an emotional level.

asegurasmith's review

I think a magazine article would have been the better format. I do think her story accurately highlighted the need for advocates when you are I'll and the reality that the medical system in the US is not designed to address the individual.