Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

aspirin's review against another edition

This was going to be a four star, but I had to give it five because of the way I felt at the end. Is it a perfect read? No, it's unabashedly cheesy and if you don't lean into that you won't enjoy it. It's structured like all the classic media it references, with deus ex machinas and getting the girl moments, but that's sort of the point. I loved it. Most importantly, it really captured the joy of being a professional appreciator.

lucym10's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

jesper_fahey's review against another edition

It was a good book but I REALLY hated some of the characters! SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Artemis was meant to be a badass but frankly I just hated her! At the start she was ok but she just got progressively more annoying. She was so insensitive and inconsiderate to everyone's feelings. Wade was just as bad, whiny and annoying.

All in all the book was pretty good but some of the characters pissed me off so much it made it hard to read.

gldstn95's review against another edition

This has become one of my all time favorite books ever!!! I can't describe the different emotions that I went through by reading this book, but for the last week this was the only thing that has been on my mind. I went into this book with no expectations and that was a great idea. For anyone who has not picked up this book because they do not think they will enjoy it I personally will say that this book has everything! from movies to video games this book has everything if you enjoy 80s culture! This book literally has my life motto in it "Small setbacks for major comebacks!!" and it has a place in my heart as one of the best books written

halostatue's review against another edition

Ready Player One is an eight-bit acid trip through the pop culture of the 1980s. The writing, pacing, and placement of pop-culture references is occasionally uneven, but in the end Ernest Cline has written an enjoyable quest story in a modern cyberpunk mode. He deftly uses the modern vision of virtual reality (informed variously by The Matrix and Second Life) to spice the story with elements of science fiction, fantasy, and space opera. While most of the action takes place inside the worlds of OASIS, the corporatist dystopia that shapes America (and to a lesser extent, the world) in 2044 is not ignored. This book isn’t for everyone, but I think that most people will enjoy it, even if only for the nostalgia for bygone movies, music, games, and TV shows.

icatchdreams's review against another edition

This was a fun read. I enjoyed the world, though I wish I knew more about 80s pop culture to better understand the references. A very interesting dig at the connection society has with their online persona and the disconnect to the real world.

ntedeyan's review against another edition

It's 103% plot and -3% character depth. Fast read, albeit a bit vapid.

HOWEVER. I *hated* the reveal of Aech IRL. In one sentence, Wade decides that it doesn't matter that his OASIS BFF, who he thought for years to be a white guy like himself, is actually a "fat black [gay] chick." Still, "We'd connected on a purely mental level... None of that had changed, or could be changed by anything as inconsequential as her gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation."

Except that's not how any of this works. First, it's nice that Wade, a white guy, has decreed that stuff doesn't matter. But it sure mattered to Aech - exactly why she chose to hide these traits. Where is Aech's voice in all of this?

And the person that Wade "understands, trusts, and loves as a dear friend" is necessarily shaped by her gender, skin color, and sexual orientation. It's only the fish in the sea that doesn't realize he's swimming in water - and it's a mark of Wade's privilege as a straight white guy IRL that he can choose not to see, and in fact, actively deny, the impact that race, gender, and sexual orientation has had on his BFF. If you love your BFF for who they are, that should include ALL of them.

Missed opportunity to dig into some interesting questions, rather than repeat the same self-affirming and self-protecting "Well let's just pretend none of that matters" bullhonkey.

But I suppose that may be expecting a bit much for a book that's 103% plot!

jaydee's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book way more than I thought I would. It was such an adventure. I'm not usually one for this particular genre, but I'm glad I steered clear of the few negative reviews and picked this one up. You don't have to be even close to an 80s buff to enjoy this (I was born a whole decade later), but I'd say you do have to have a sense of imagination. I wanted so badly at times to just curl up and binge to the end but the way my adult responsibilities are setup......
Anyway, it was incredibly immersive, fun, action packed, start-to-finish good read! I'm still deciding if I want to watch the movie adaptation...? Maybe I will, I don't know. But at least I know for sure the book was so good!

schreckjo's review against another edition

The best, best, best, best, best.

drewcorleone's review against another edition

The combo of nostalgia paired with a dystopian future made for an interesting read, and I liked several of the characters. But while I thought Cline spun a pretty solid yarn, even when some of the callbacks came across as forced and unnecessary, the writing itself irritated me.