Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

sophieelg's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful tense medium-paced

selfwinding's review against another edition

This book is just so much fun. I enjoyed it the whole way through. The characters are charming and make me root for them (and are everything I want in terms of a supporting cast), the world building is extremely effective within a few lines, and the plot builds and escalates in a perfect way, exemplifying beat sheet structure. And it doesn't hurt to have so many nerdy 80s references that my nostalgic little heart explodes.

I'm planning to immediately reread this to look at the structure more carefully because I think it will help me finish outlining the novel I'm working on, and to look at the efficiency in the world building. World building within a few lines is key to keeping a narrative crisp and active, so I'm very interested in analyzing that deeper.

Also: Wil Wheaton's performance is A+. If you've read this, I recommend picking up the audio book and letting him read it to you. I'm planning to purchase a hard copy for my analysis, but am looking forward to revisiting the audio book many times.

Reread: April 2016 (2xs)

chl0e_c's review against another edition

I am not a gamer...but I loved this book! A highly enjoyable read. I devoured every chapter.

Fair warning—Unfortunately, because of a certain 4 paragraphs, I will not be recommending this book to my high school students. :(

eitan's review against another edition

Lo admito, me ha gustado, aunque hay mucho que podría decir sobre el libro, pero no me extenderé y recalcaré que mi puntuación va de 3 a 3,5 estrellas (Goodreads, ¡a ver cuándo metes esta opción!). A pesar de la lentitud del inicio y que en muchas (a veces demasiadas) hay tantas referencias que me confundía cual pokemon salvaje, ha sido una lectura entretenida y espero con interés por lo que ofrecerá la continuación.

Pronto una reseña más extensa en mi blog :P

mixedvalence's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

joannamaybe's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious fast-paced

alissa2000's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring mysterious fast-paced

shadowgirlmo's review against another edition

Remember being a kid and hiding under your covers with a flashlight, completely immersed in another world? That elusive type of reading that disappears for most once they hit adulthood? Ready Player One brings the true joy of reading back. As Wade/Parzival explores the virtual world of OASIS in 2044, you too are immersed in a world -- the vivid universe Ernest Cline has created with his writing. While this book is aa classic adventure ridden with suspense, surprise ,and action, it can also serve as a commentary on life today: the sustainability of our lifestyles, the role of technology in society, and of course, how we navigate multiple levels of reality in modern life. Following Parzival's journey was exciting, and if not for Cline's unnatural and awkward dialogue, Ready Player One would have easily earned 5 stars.

vickytedije's review against another edition

Es hermoso de punta a punta. Todo lo mejor de la cultura pop de los últimos 30 años en un solo libro. Maravilloso.

luneiors's review against another edition

After a week of reading this I finally finished it friends :) Ready Player One is my first book that I read for the month of February.
Ready Player One has a sci-fi and dystopian theme. It is about a boy named Wade Watts who lives in the year of 2044 where at that time things are declining and the recession is occurring. And by that kind of reason, people tend to dissociate themselves with the reality and people tend to spend more time with the virtual utopia called OASIS created by the geek master James Halliday. When Halliday died he said to his will that when a person finds the egg will inherit his fortune including the management and control of the OASIS.
Years had passed and people are struggling finding the egg and somewhat gave up searching for it. The clues and tasks are based on Halliday's possessions and favorites which focuses on the 80s pop culture. Wade Watts attempted to search for the egg and it's not been an easy task for him since there are many gunters searching the egg and wanting that fortune from Halliday. The most notorious one are called Sixers, they belonged to a big corporation where everything is limited and only controlled by one sole purpose. As Wade Watts known as Parzival in the OASIS world engaged in to this game, he met people who also help & gained him the experience. Ready Player One will take you to this world of geeks and 80s pop culture where video games are the thing.
When I first read the first few chapters, I will honestly say that I didn't get hook immediately, I think I took a few more chapters before I found myself liking it. What I like about this book is that it reference to a lot of pop culture especially in the 80s. If you didn't know I looooove the 80s pop culture, I knew some of the films, I listened to some of the songs and I knew some of the games that have mentioned (and animes where also mentioned in the book so it's cool). I don't consider myself a geek, but I enjoyed reading this. I guess I have a problem with grasping some of the information especially the first few parts. Ernest Cline is very detailed in the way he writes, it's like he explains to you all but the thing is you should need to absorb that information to get it and eventually applied it to the other chapters. Ready Player One is optioned to adapt as a movie so I'm excited to see this on the big screen. I hope they cast actors and actresses who will fit the characters in the book. Like many people said who read this book, reading Ready Player One felt like you're reading a screenplay, well it does. I felt like it's meant for screenplay.
To conclude my review, I gave 4.5 out of 5 stars for this book. If you love pop culture especially in the year of 80s and if you like video games then you probably want to try to read this. There are readers who read this fast but as for me, it took me a week to finish this because I find it hard to grasp the information but overall I enjoyed reading this. I said to myself, I would want to read more books other than the circle of YA genre & I'm glad I pick up this book :)