Starts: Friday, 01 January 2021
Ends: Friday, 31 December 2021
The Read Harder Challenge is back, and 2021 will be its seventh year! We’re excited to embark on this annual reading journey once more, and hope you find your way to some wonderful reads through Book Riot’s challenge. Once again, Read Harder has 24 tasks designed to help you break out of your reading bubble and expand your worldview through books. With new genres, new authors, and new points of view, the challenge will (hopefully) help you discover amazing books you wouldn’t have otherwise picked up.
Just as in years past, there are 24 tasks, averaging two per month over the course of the next 12 months. You may count one book for multiple tasks or read one book per task. The point of the challenge is to push yourself to expand your horizons and break out of set reading habits; the hope is that you’ll discover voices, settings, characters, formats, and more you may not have encountered without that nudge. Be accountable to yourself, share what you learned along the way, and enjoy the experience!
Click here for a downloadable and editable PDF of the 2021 Read Harder Challenge tasks.
1. Read a book you’ve been intimidated to read (567 books added)
2. Read a nonfiction book about anti-racism (277 books added)
3. Read a non-European novel in translation (391 books added)
4. Read an LGBTQ+ history book (200 books added)
5. Read a genre novel by an Indigenous, First Nations, or Native American author (155 books added)
6. Read a fanfic (274 books added)
7. Read a fat-positive romance (162 books added)
8. Read a romance by a trans or nonbinary author (152 books added)
9. Read a middle grade mystery (280 books added)
10. Read an SFF anthology edited by a person of color (83 books added)