Starts: Wednesday, 01 January 2020
Ends: Thursday, 31 December 2020
The Read Harder Challenge is back for its sixth year! We’re excited to embark on this annual reading journey once more, and hope you find your way to some wonderful reads through Book Riot’s challenge. Once again, Read Harder has 24 tasks designed to help you break out of your reading bubble and expand your worldview through books. With new genres, new authors, and new points of view, the challenge will (hopefully) help you discover amazing books you wouldn’t have otherwise picked up.
We’ve rounded up another great mix of fun and serious tasks that ask you to consider some topics, forms, and parts of the world you might never have experienced in literature before. All will push your reading limits, and we hope you love them.
Just as in years past, there are 24 tasks, averaging two per month over the course of the next 12 months. You may count one book for multiple tasks or read one book per task. We’ll say it again: “We encourage you to push yourself, to take advantage of this challenge as a way to explore topics or formats or genres that you otherwise wouldn’t try. But this isn’t a test. No one is keeping score and there are no points to post. We like books because they allow us to see the world from a new perspective, and sometimes we all need help to even know which perspectives to try out. That’s what this is—a perspective shift—but one for which you’ll only be accountable to yourself.”
If you want to join a community of fellow challenge-goers, share your challenge progress, and get suggestions for tasks, check out the Read Harder Challenge Goodreads group. It’s a great place to hang out and discover books to fit your tasks and discuss the challenge. You can also use the #ReadHarder hashtag all over social media and join Book Riot Insiders for access to an exclusive Read Harder podcast where Vanessa Diaz and Tirzah Price will offer suggestions, highlighting a new task each episode.
Click here for a downloadable and editable PDF of the 2020 Read Harder Challenge tasks.
Click here for the official challenge page on Book Riot's website and to see the books they recommend for each prompt.
The Book Riot 2020 Read Harder Challenge is sponsored by TBR: Tailored Book Recommendations.
1. Read a YA nonfiction book (108 books added)
2. Read a retelling of a classic of the canon, fairytale, or myth by an author of color (109 books added)
3. Read a mystery where the victim(s) is not a woman (159 books added)
4. Read a graphic memoir (102 books added)
5. Read a book about a natural disaster (121 books added)
6. Read a play by an author of color and/or queer author (95 books added)
7. Read a historical fiction novel not set in WWII (322 books added)
8. Read an audiobook of poetry (94 books added)
9. Read the LAST book in a series (190 books added)
10. Read a book that takes place in a rural setting (312 books added)
11. Read a debut novel by a queer author (130 books added)
13. Read a food book about a cuisine you’ve never tried before (89 books added)
14. Read a romance starring a single parent (104 books added)
15. Read a book about climate change (105 books added)
16. Read a doorstopper (over 500 pages) published after 1950, written by a woman (169 books added)
17. Read a sci-fi/fantasy novella (under 120 pages) (142 books added)
18. Read a picture book with a human main character from a marginalized community (122 books added)
19. Read a book by or about a refugee (143 books added)
20. Read a middle grade book that doesn’t take place in the U.S. or the UK (106 books added)
21. Read a book with a main character or protagonist with a disability (fiction or non) (196 books added)
22. Read a horror book published by an indie press (86 books added)
23. Read an edition of a literary magazine (digital or physical) (76 books added)
24. Read a book in any genre by a Native, First Nations, or Indigenous author (161 books added)