Starts: Friday, 01 January 2021
Ends: Friday, 31 December 2021
The goal is to read sapphic books that fit as many of the 50 categories listed below as possible. You can read ebooks, paperbacks, or audiobooks; and they can be new-to-you books or re-reads. Depending on how many sapphic books you manage to read in 2021, you can earn different badges and book prizes. Jae will post book recommendations for a new category once a week, and I will try to keep the list up to date. Of course, you could also just read whatever books you want and then, afterwards, see what categories they fit into.
If I ever fall behind with adding Jae's recommendations, you can reference the linked index of her posts here.
Book Squirrel: The goal is to read 20 sapphic books in 2021. Each book has to fit one category listed below.
Completing 40% of this challenge would award you the Book Squirrel Badge.
Book Bear: The goal is to read 30 sapphic books in 2021. Each book has to fit one category listed below.
Completing 60% of this challenge would award you the Book Bear Badge.
Book Dragon (level 1): The goal is to read 50 sapphic books in 2021, one book for each of the 50 categories.
Completing 100% of this challenge would award you the Book Dragon (lvl 1) Badge.
Book Dragon (level 2): This is the level for our hardcore readers. The goal is to read 100 sapphic books in 2021, two books for each of the 50 categories.
Completing 200% of this challenge would award you the Book Dragon (lvl 2) Badge, but it must be two from each category.
Book Unicorn: The Book Unicorn is a bonus level that you can pick either by itself or as an additional goal. The goal is to read 10 sapphic books from a list of 12 harder-to-find genres and themes. Jae will post book suggestions for one Book Unicorn category each month. I have listed them as bonus prompts.
- The reading challenge will run from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021. You can join at any time.
- Each book needs to have at least one main character who is a woman who loves women or a nonbinary character who identifies as sapphic.
- Each book needs to fit one of the 50 categories (for the Book Penguin, the Book Squirrel, the Book Bear, or the Book Dragon) or one of the 12 extra categories (for the Book Unicorn). You’ll find the list of categories below.
- Each book may be used only once, even if it fits several categories.
- Pick the level that you think will work best for you. If you later change your mind and realize you’ll be reading fewer or more books than you initially thought, you can switch to a different level any time.
- Every week, Jae will post a new category with a list of book recommendations. For the Book Unicorn, she’ll post reading suggestions for one category each month. You can either pick a book from those recommended reading lists or choose any other book that fits the category. (Here is the index of posts, kept updated with links.)
- Only books you started and finished in 2021 count.
- Books can be any format—ebook, paperback, or audiobook.
- It doesn’t necessarily have to be a novel. Novellas (usually around 17,500-40,000 words) count too, as do anthologies, short story collections, and graphic novels.
- Re-reads of books you’ve read before count.
1. Enemies-to-lovers romance (37 books added)
2. Character with an everyday job (32 books added)
3. Return to hometown (28 books added)
5. Character is a journalist or reporter (23 books added)
5. From TLR’s “Best of the Best” list (142 books added)
6. Only one bed (23 books added)
7. Character with a disability or mental illness (31 books added)
8. Character is a book lover (31 books added)
9. One-night stand to forever (22 books added)
10. Speculative fiction (44 books added)