Starts: Friday, 01 January 2021
Ends: Friday, 31 December 2021
The goal is to read sapphic books that fit as many of the 50 categories listed below as possible. You can read ebooks, paperbacks, or audiobooks; and they can be new-to-you books or re-reads. Depending on how many sapphic books you manage to read in 2021, you can earn different badges and book prizes. Jae will post book recommendations for a new category once a week, and I will try to keep the list up to date. Of course, you could also just read whatever books you want and then, afterwards, see what categories they fit into.
If I ever fall behind with adding Jae's recommendations, you can reference the linked index of her posts here.
Book Squirrel: The goal is to read 20 sapphic books in 2021. Each book has to fit one category listed below.
Completing 40% of this challenge would award you the Book Squirrel Badge.
Book Bear: The goal is to read 30 sapphic books in 2021. Each book has to fit one category listed below.
Completing 60% of this challenge would award you the Book Bear Badge.
Book Dragon (level 1): The goal is to read 50 sapphic books in 2021, one book for each of the 50 categories.
Completing 100% of this challenge would award you the Book Dragon (lvl 1) Badge.
Book Dragon (level 2): This is the level for our hardcore readers. The goal is to read 100 sapphic books in 2021, two books for each of the 50 categories.
Completing 200% of this challenge would award you the Book Dragon (lvl 2) Badge, but it must be two from each category.
Book Unicorn: The Book Unicorn is a bonus level that you can pick either by itself or as an additional goal. The goal is to read 10 sapphic books from a list of 12 harder-to-find genres and themes. Jae will post book suggestions for one Book Unicorn category each month. I have listed them as bonus prompts.
- The reading challenge will run from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021. You can join at any time.
- Each book needs to have at least one main character who is a woman who loves women or a nonbinary character who identifies as sapphic.
- Each book needs to fit one of the 50 categories (for the Book Penguin, the Book Squirrel, the Book Bear, or the Book Dragon) or one of the 12 extra categories (for the Book Unicorn). You’ll find the list of categories below.
- Each book may be used only once, even if it fits several categories.
- Pick the level that you think will work best for you. If you later change your mind and realize you’ll be reading fewer or more books than you initially thought, you can switch to a different level any time.
- Every week, Jae will post a new category with a list of book recommendations. For the Book Unicorn, she’ll post reading suggestions for one category each month. You can either pick a book from those recommended reading lists or choose any other book that fits the category. (Here is the index of posts, kept updated with links.)
- Only books you started and finished in 2021 count.
- Books can be any format—ebook, paperback, or audiobook.
- It doesn’t necessarily have to be a novel. Novellas (usually around 17,500-40,000 words) count too, as do anthologies, short story collections, and graphic novels.
- Re-reads of books you’ve read before count.
1. Enemies-to-lovers romance (28 books added)
2. Character with an everyday job (25 books added)
3. Return to hometown (22 books added)
5. Character is a journalist or reporter (21 books added)
5. From TLR’s “Best of the Best” list (139 books added)
6. Only one bed (17 books added)
7. Character with a disability or mental illness (26 books added)
8. Character is a book lover (22 books added)
9. One-night stand to forever (21 books added)
10. Speculative fiction (35 books added)
11. Ice queen character (25 books added)
12. Neurodiverse character (16 books added)
13. Longer book (24 books added)
14. Character is a medical professional (21 books added)
15. Genre you don’t usually read (36 books added)
16. Grumpy & sunshine (8 books added)
17. Character is a teacher or professor (4 books added)
18. Coming out later in life (5 books added)
19. Historical fiction / historical romance (14 books added)
20. Nerdy/geeky character (7 books added)
21. Age gap romance (6 books added)
22. Character of a different ethnicity, culture, or race than you (29 books added)
23. Recommended by a friend (9 books added)
24. Character is a musician (7 books added)
25. Your favorite author’s favorite book (3 books added)
26. Character was adopted/in foster care (7 books added)
27. Shy or socially awkward character (8 books added)
28. Character rocks a power suit (4 books added)
29. Book starts with the first day of a new job (6 books added)
30. Mystery (8 books added)
31. Friends-to-lovers romance (9 books added)
32. Body-positive book (1 book added)
33. Disguised or living as a man (8 books added)
34. Character works in the food industry (4 books added)
35. Re-read a favorite (3 books added)
36. Road trip (4 books added)
37. Bisexual or pansexual character (20 books added)
38. Animal on the cover (13 books added)
39. Girl-next-door character (1 book added)
40. Adventure in nature (3 books added)
41. Mistaken identity (2 books added)
42. Set in a country you don’t live in (12 books added)
43. Part of a series (13 books added)
44. Character is a business owner (5 books added)
45. New-to-you author (21 books added)
46. Set in the 20th century (7 books added)
47. Character who isn’t “Hollywood beautiful” (5 books added)
48. Character works in STEM (3 books added)
49. Forced proximity (7 books added)
50. Anthology, short story collection, novella (11 books added)
Character is a sapphic trans woman (4 books added)
Dystopian, apocalyptic, or post-apocalyptic fiction (5 books added)
Horror (6 books added)
Jewish character (4 books added)
Steampunk or gaslamp fantasy (7 books added)
Sapphic nonbinary character (4 books added)
Thriller (4 books added)
Polyamorous relationship (4 books added)
Butch/butch pairing (14 books added)
Time travel (18 books added)
Character over 40 (6 books added)
High fantasy (24 books added)