The StoryGraph's Translation Challenge 2021
Hosted by thestorygraph
1682 participants, 3631 books added
Starts: Friday, 01 January 2021
Ends: Friday, 31 December 2021
This year, our resident Librarian and translation fanatic Abbie has come up with ten new translation prompts to encourage you to pick up some more translated literature!
For this year's challenge, you are free to mix and match the prompts. For instance, if you find a fantasy novel translated from Icelandic, then you can count that towards prompts 1 and 6! Or if you like a harder challenge, you can find ten separate books for each prompt - it's up to you!
The aim of this challenge is to read books that have been translated originally from a language that isn't English. You can read them in any language, but the source language should not be English. We want to help readers explore works from outside the English-speaking world!
You can visit our last Translation Challenge if you need any inspiration for your reading - the Arabic prompt page might also be helpful to you this year!
1. A translated fantasy or sci-fi novel (442 books added)
2. A book written by a Black woman in translation (185 books added)
3. A translated book originally published before 1950 (567 books added)
4. A translated non-fiction book (513 books added)
5. A translated novel 500 pages or longer (435 books added)
6. A book translated from Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish or Icelandic (457 books added)
7. A translated book by a South American author (358 books added)
8. A translated book by a Chinese author (290 books added)
9. A book translated from Arabic (206 books added)
10. A book translated from a language spoken in India (178 books added)
A lot of Indian authors do write in English, so please make sure you find a book which has been written in a different language and translated for the purposes of this challenge!