A review by aastha
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

We in our madness have separated soul and body, and have invented a realism that is vulgar, an ideality that is void,quoted Basil Hallward,one of the three main characters.

The portrait of Dorian gray dwells into the core and primitive mind of humans.It is about how a youth's passionate purity can be moulded into a wantoned mind which is chiefly characterised by the seven deadly sins of its society.The two main characters represent vainess of the higher caste of their times.This has only been enhanced with time and we now live in a world where,as remarked by Lord Henry in the book,"It is better to be beautiful than to be good".When Kardashians are idolised more than Malala Yousafzai,this book is as relevant today as it was in the time of Wilde,if not more.

The book starts with Lord Henry wanting to play with the psychology of a young man with a traumatic past.What starts with a simple piece by piece manipulation of Dorian Gray's vanity results into a cruel and sadist souless unrepentant sinner.

“Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul."-The book revolves around this tragic theme of the life of Dorian Gray.His endless passions and pleasures are justified by this aestheticism.

This book ironically, being a satire on vanity,forces you to bath in the beauty of its words.While it moulded Dorian Gray's perceptions,it is sure to make you acknowledge the Dorians within our times.